SCORE: Wheaton 7 - Anna Maria 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Anna Maria (2-2, 0-0 GNAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- Despite outshooting the Amcats 11-2 in the first half, Wheaton was only able to enter into halftime with a 1-0 lead. Senior forward Kelsey Buckley was credited with the lone goal of the half, scoring unassisted in the eleventh minute.
- Katie Peters scored on a penalty corner in the first half without any help, firing the ball to the back of the net five minutes into the period for a 2-0 Lyons lead.
- Wheaton's offense turned it on in the 53rd minute, with consecutive goals from JoAnn Bourgoin, Michelle Connolly and Buckley, respectively, in just over a three minute span to go up 5-0.
- First year forward Hannah LeClair tacked on a sixth Wheaton goal just two minutes later after getting a stick on a ball from senior midfielder Hannah Southard.
- Sarah Yates capped the Lyons' attack after two attempts on the goalie's pads, lifting the lead to 7-0 with her first goal of the season.
- Prior to Yates' goal, Taryn Rebelo stepped in to buy the Amcats more time with her first defensive save of the year.
- Anna Maria did not waste a last-minute attempt to score, however, and were ultimately able to convert on a penalty corner (Allyson Shaw from Anne Melanson) with :45 left in regulation.
- Morgan Karnes picks up a win after making the start for the Lyons, but was unchallenged by the Amcats in just under 58 minutes of work. Gretta Reilly made an appearance as well, picking up a save in the final 12.5 minutes.
- Bryanna Tobin slips to 0-2-1, but picks up 8 saves on the evening. Danielle Huston did not see any shots in 2:42 between the pipes.
- Shots: Wheaton 22 - Anna Maria 7
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 9 - Anna Maria 7
- Saves: Wheaton 1 - Anna Maria 9
UP NEXT: Wheaton will begin their NEWMAC slate on Saturday, September 6, when they travel to Smith College for a 1:00 p.m. contest.