Davidson backstops Wheaton to scoreless draw during Kick-Off Classic

Davidson backstops Wheaton to scoreless draw during Kick-Off Classic

NORTON, MA- Junior keeper Cole Davidson (Needham, MA/Salisbury School) made four saves, including a spectacular stop midway through the second overtime period, in backstopping the Wheaton College men's soccer team to a 0-0 draw after two extra sessions with Rutgers University at Newark on Sunday during the second day of the Adidas Kick-Off Classic at Keefe Field. The Lyons remained unbeaten at 2-0-1, while the Scarlet Raiders moved to 0-1-2.

During the teams' first meeting, Wheaton held advantages of 12-9 in shots, including 3-2 in the overtimes, and 9-4 in corner kicks. After taking only one corner through regulation and the first extra period, the visitors fired off three in the second session, including one that was crossed to sophomore Bernardo Valle (West Orange, NJ/West Orange), whose attempt at a winner in the 105th minute was punched over the bar by a diving Davidson.

The Lyons nearly won early in the second overtime, but sophomore Conor Finn (Kennebunk, ME/Kennebunk) floated a shot from 10 yards out above the goal frame and junior keeper Matt Zielyk (West Orange, NJ/Seton Hall Prep), who finished with three stops.

Finn nearly gave the hosts an early edge but was turned away on a diving save by Zielyk in the opening minute of the game, and a cross from Wheaton freshman Cecil Jeffrey (Framingham, MA/Rivers School) was deflected into the goal mouth during the 31st minute before being cleared out of harm's way by a defender.

During the 66th minute, Davidson slid out of the net to deny junior Innocent Buule (West New York, NJ/Memorial) before going low to turn aside a Rutgers-Newark attempt with less than two and a half minutes remaining in regulation.

Wheaton is back in action on Wednesday at nationally-ranked Western New England College in a 4:00 p.m. contest. The Golden Bears sat 25th in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) preseason poll.