Sharon/Terrace post No.1 doubles victory
SALEM, Mass. – The Wheaton College men's tennis team earned an 8-1 non-conference victory over Salem State University on Friday afternoon at the Central Campus Tennis Courts.
Junior Dan Sharon (Santa Monica, Calif./Brentwood School) was a double-winner for Wheaton teaming up with classmate Ned Terrace (Chappaqua, N.Y./Horace Greeley) for a No.1 doubles triumph over the Vikings' duo of Tyler Seidel (Suffield, Conn./Suffield) and Cody Famiglietti (Peabody, Mass./Peabody) by an 8-1 score. Sharon also won his No.4 singles match against senior Jong Kim (Seoul, South Korea/North Andover) in straight sets (6-0, 6-0).
At No.2 doubles, Kim and senior Matt Lee (Pembroke, Mass./Pembroke) posted Salem State's only win of the match with an 8-6 decision over Wheaton freshmen David Gassen (Dusseldorf, Germany/Saddlebrook Prep) and Shreve Archer (Pebble Beach, Calif./Stevenson School).
Lyons' sophomore Lawrence Chan (Lincoln, R.I./Wheeler School) and freshman Tyler Smith (New Canaan, Conn./Fairfield Prep) turned in an 8-5 victory at No.3 doubles against senior captain Kenny Hodgkins (Winthrop, Mass./Winthrop) and classmate Krystian Biedul (Podkowa Lesinas, Poland/Warsaw).
Wheaton swept the remainder of its singles matches with freshman Jonah Feit (Los Angeles, Calif./Milken Community) highlighting the Lyons efforts with a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Lee at No.1 singles. Gassen defeated Seidel, 6-2, 6-2, at No.2 singles and freshman Will White (Nantucket, Mass./Cape Cod Academy) topped Famiglietti, 6-0, 6-2, at No.3 singles.
Senior Dennis Scarpa (Cheshire, Conn./Xavier) earned a 6-2, 6-1 win over Hodgkins at No.5 singles and Terrace rounded out singles play with a straight-set victory against Salem State freshman Conner Erickson (Hubbardston, Mass./Quabbin Regional).
The Lyons (2-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) travel to Bridgewater State University for a non-conference match on Tuesday, March 26 at 3:30 p.m. Salem State (0-4, 0-0 MASCAC) hosts Gordon College on Monday, March 25 at 3:30 p.m.
Wheaton 8, Salem State 1
1. Jonah Feit (WHE) def. Matt Lee (SSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. David Gassen (WHE) def. Tyler Seidel (SSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Will White (WHE) def. Cody Famiglietti (SSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Dan Sharon (WHE) def. Joe Kim (SSU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Dennis Scarpa (WHE) def. Kenny Hodgkins (SSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. James Beaton (WHE) def. Kevin Lam (SSU) 8-2
1. Dan Sharon/Ned Terrace (WHE) def. Tyler Seidel/Cody Famiglietti (SSU) 8-1
2. Joe Kim/Matt Lee (SSU) def. David Gassen/Shreve Archer (WHE) 8-6
3. Lawrence Chan/Tyler Smith (WHE) def. Kenny Hodgkins/Krystian Biedul (SSU) 8-5
*- doubles matches played first