Men’s Tennis Tops Bridgewater State, 8-1
Lyons take all six singles matches
BRIDGEWATER, Mass. – The Wheaton College men's tennis team posted a decisive 8-1 victory over Bridgewater State University in non-conference play on Tuesday evening at the Dr. Henry Rosen Memorial Tennis Courts.
Freshmen Jonah Feit (Los Angeles, Calif./Milken Community) and Will White (Nantucket, Mass./Cape Cod Academy) and juniors Dan Sharon (Santa Monica, Calif./Brentwood School) and Ned Terrace (Chappaqua, N.Y./Horace Greeley) were all double winners for Wheaton.
Feit and White combined for a No.1 doubles win over Bridgewater State sophomore Wesley Esthimer (Franklin, Mass./Franklin) and junior Jesse Gotlib (Dartmouth, Mass./Dartmouth) by a score of 8-3. Newly minted New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Doubles Team of the Week, Sharon and Terrace, earned an 8-2 triumph at No.2 doubles against freshman Matt McLeod (Leicester, Mass./Leicester) and junior Cody Farrell (Scituate, Mass./Scituate).
In singles play, Feit took down Esthimer, 6-2, 6-1, at No.1 singles and White claimed a 6-2, 6-1 victory against McLeod at No.3 singles. Sharon defeated Bears' sophomore Sean Bleau (North Dighton, Mass./Dighton-Rehoboth), 6-3, 6-2 at No.4 singles and Terrace downed freshman Alex McGannon (Fairhaven, Mass./Greater New Bedford Voc. Tech) by a score of 7-5, 6-0 at No.6 singles.
Freshman David Gassen (Dusseldorf, Germany/Saddlebrook Prep) beat Gotlib, 6-1, 6-1, at No.2 singles. Senior Dennis Scarpa (Cheshire, Conn./Xavier) rounded out the group of winners for the Lyons with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Farrell at No.5 singles.
Wheaton (3-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) hosts Stonehill College, an NCAA Division II program, tomorrow at 4:00 p.m. on the Clark Tennis Courts. Bridgewater State (2-1, 0-0 MASCAC) plays Wheelock College at the Winsor School in Boston, Mass. tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m.
Wheaton 8, Bridgewater State 1
1. Jonah Feit (WHE) def. Wesley Esthimer (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. David Gassen (WHE) def. Jesse Gotlib (BSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Will White (WHE) def. Matt McLeod (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Dan Sharon (WHE) def. Sean Bleau (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Dennis Scarpa (WHE) def. Cody Farrell (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ned Terrace (WHE) def. Alex McGannon (BSU) 7-5, 6-0
1. Jonah Feit/Will White (WHE) def. Wesley Esthimer/Jesse Gotlib (BSU) 8-3
2. Dan Sharon/Ned Terrace (WHE) def. Matt McLeod/Cody Farrell (BSU) 8-2
3. Alex McGannon/Hung Huynh (BSU) def. David Gassen/Shreve Archer (WHE) 8-5
*- doubles matches played first