Lyons snap Gulls four-match winning streak
NORTON, Mass. – The Wheaton College men's tennis team shut out Endicott College, 9-0, on Tuesday evening in non-conference play at the Clark Tennis Courts.
Freshmen Jonah Feit (Los Angeles, Calif./Milken Community), Will White (Nantucket, Mass./Cape Cod Academy) and David Gassen (Dusseldorf, Germany/Saddlebrook Prep), junior Dan Sharon (Santa Monica, Calif./Brentwood School) and senior Dennis Scarpa (Cheshire, Conn./Xavier) all were double winners for the Lyons.
Feit and White teamed up for a No.1 doubles victory against seniors Olivier Joggi (Stoneham, Mass./Stoneham) and Jake Cohen (Barrington, R.I./Barrington) by an 8-3 decision. Sharon and Terrace defeated Endicott junior Evan Ross (Worcester, Mass./Worcester Academy) and freshman Michael Dolph (Stratford, Conn./Bunnell), 8-1, at No.2. Scarpa and Gassen rounded out doubles play at No.3 with an 8-3 win versus sophomores Timothy Forance (Natick, Mass./Natick) and Michael Lauretano (Winchester, Mass./Winchester).
In singles matches, Feit ousted Joggi, 6-2, 6-3 at No.1 and White beat Ross, 6-4, 6-1 at No.2 singles. Sharon earned a 6-7, 7-5, 11-9 triumph over Cohen at No.3 and Gassen defeated Forance, 6-1, 6-3 at No.4.
Junior Sam Jackson (Darien, Conn./Darien) turned in a 6-3, 6-2 decision against Lauretano at No.5 and Scarpa breezed to a 6-1, 6-0 victory over sophomore Justin Warshavsky (East Hartford, Conn./East Catholic) at No.6.
Wheaton (8-5, 1-3 NEWMAC) travels to Coast Guard on Saturday, April 20 for a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) matchup at noon. Endicott (8-6) hosts Wentworth tomorrow at 3:30 p.m.
Wheaton 9, Endicott 0
1. Jonah Feit (WHE) def. Olivier Joggi (EC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Will White (WHE) def. Evan Ross (EC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Dan Sharon (WHE) def. Jake Cohen (EC) 6-7, 7-5, 11-9
4. David Gassen (WHE) def. Timothy Forance (EC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Sam Jackson (WHE) def. Michael Lauretano (EC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Dennis Scarpa (WHE) def. Justin Warshavsky (EC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Jonah Feit/Will White (WHE) def. Olivier Joggi/Jake Cohen (EC) 8-3
2. Dan Sharon/Ned Terrace (WHE) def. Evan Ross/Michael Dolph (EC) 8-1
3. Dennis Scarpa/David Gassen (WHE) def. Timothy Forance/Michael Lauretano (EC) 8-3