Lyons erase 2-1 deficit after doubles play
NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Wheaton College men's tennis team used a comeback effort after trailing in doubles play to defeat Coast Guard, 5-4, in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action on Saturday afternoon.
Freshman Will White (Nantucket, Mass./Cape Cod Academy) won the deciding match at No.2 singles to help the Lyons win their second-straight match. White lost the first set to Coast Guard freshman Robert Renfrow (Leonardtown, Md.), 2-6, but bounced back in the next two sets 7-6 and 7-5.
White also teamed up with classmate Jonah Feit (Los Angeles, Calif./Milken Community) for an 8-5 loss at No.1 doubles against Renfrow and senior Blake Maurer (Forth Worth, Texas). At No.1 singles, Feit downed Maurer by a 7-6, 6-1 decision.
Wheaton junior Sam Jackson (Darien, Conn./Darien) turned in a 7-5, 6-1 victory over sophomore Andrew Bryson (Prattville, Ala.) at No.5 singles. Lyons senior Dennis Scarpa (Cheshire, Conn./Xavier) defeated sophomore Jon Lightner (Stuttgart, Germany), 6-4, 6-3, at No.6 singles to round out the list of winners for the Blue and White.
The Bears held a 2-1 advantage after doubles play concluded as Wheaton juniors Dan Sharon (Santa Monica, Calif./Brentwood School) and Ned Terrace (Chappaqua, N.Y./Horace Greeley) fell to freshmen Mark Guentert (Lilburn, Ga.) and Weston Fortna (Lebanon, Pa.), 9-8 (7-2), at No.2 doubles. Scarpa and freshman David Gassen (Dusseldorf, Germany/Saddlebrook Prep) topped Bryson and Lightner for a 9-7 victory at No.3 doubles.
Fortna also beat Gassen, 6-4, 6-1 at No.4 singles while Guentert turned away Sharon at No.3 singles by a score of 6-2, 6-2.
Wheaton (9-5, 2-3 NEWMAC) travels to Colby-Sawyer tomorrow for a non-conference match at 11 a.m. Coast Guard (4-11, 1-4 NEWMAC) visits on New York University on Tuesday, April 23 at 3 p.m.
Wheaton 5, Coast Guard 4
1. Jonah Feit (WHE) def. Blake Maurer (CGA) 7-6, 6-1
2. Will White (WHE) def. Robert Renfrow (CGA) 2-6, 7-6, 7-5
3. Mark Guentert (CGA) def. Dan Sharon (WHE) 6-2, 6-2
4. Weston Fortna (CGA) def. David Gassen (WHE) 6-4, 6-1
5. Sam Jackson (WHE) def. Andrew Bryson (CGA) 7-5, 6-1
6. Dennis Scarpa (WHE) def. Jon Lightner (CGA) 6-4, 6-3
1. Blake Maurer/Robert Renfrow (CGA) def. Jonah Feit/Will White (WHE) 8-5
2. Mark Guentert/Weston Fortna (CGA) def. Dan Sharon/Ned Terrace (WHE) 9-8 (7-2)
3. David Gassen/Dennis Scarpa (WHE) def. Andrew Bryson/Jon Lightner (CGA) 9-7