Regionally Ranked Nichols College Defeats Wheaton, 6-3, On Senior Day
Beaton, Kiernan and Scarpa honored for contributions towards program
NORTON, Mass. – The Nichols College men's tennis team, ranked no.18 overall in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) regional rankings, beat Wheaton College, 6-3, in non-conference action on "Senior Day" at the Clark Tennis Courts.
Prior to the match, seniors William Beaton (Groveland, Mass./Pentucket Regional), captain Kyle Kiernan (Topsfield, Mass./Masconomet Regional) and Dennis Scarpa (Cheshire, Conn./Xavier) were all honored for their contributions towards the men's tennis program.
At No.6 singles, Scarpa turned away Nichols freshman Josh Halpern (Secaucus, N.J./Secaucus) by a score of 7-5, 2-6, 10-2. Scarpa and freshman David Gassen (Dusseldorf, Germany/Saddlebrook Prep) teamed up for an 8-2 victory at No.3 doubles over Halpern and freshman Carlos De La Cruz (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic/Florida Virtual School).
Junior Sam Jackson (Darien, Conn./Darien) picked up the Lyons only other win on the afternoon with a 2-6, 6-4, 10-4 decision at No.5 singles against De La Cruz.
Nichols senior Justin DeLuca (Mashpee, Mass./New Hampton School), sophomore Brandon Roode (Griswold, Conn./Griswold), freshman Eduardo Irizarry (Lajas, Puerto Rico/Collegio San Jose) and graduate student David Drucker (Bellmore, N.Y./Bellmore JFK) were all double winners for the Bison.
Wheaton enjoys a day off tomorrow before the fourth-seeded Lyons take on first-seeded MIT on Saturday, April 27 at noon in the semifinal round of the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Tennis Tournament.
Nichols 6, Wheaton 3
1. Justin DeLuca (NC) def. Jonah Feit (WHE) 6-4, 6-2
2. Brandon Roode (NC) def. Will White (WHE) 6-2, 6-1
3. Eduardo Irizarry (NC) def. Dan Sharon (WHE) 6-1, 6-2
4. David Drucker (NC) def. David Gassen (WHE) 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
5. Sam Jackson (WHE) def. Carlos De La Cruz (NC) 2-6, 6-4, 10-4
6. Dennis Scarpa (WHE) def. Josh Halpern (NC) 7-5, 2-6, 10-2
1. Brandon Roode/Eduardo Irizarry (NC) def. Jonah Feit/Will White (WHE) 8-6
2. Justin DeLuca/David Drucker (NC) def. Dan Sharon/Ned Terrace (WHE) 8-5
3. David Gassen/Dennis Scarpa (WHE) def. Carlos De La Cruz/Josh Halpern (NC) 8-2