CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In the semifinal of the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) men's tennis tournament, host MIT defeated Wheaton College with a score of 5-0, earning a spot in the finals tomorrow. The Engineers improved to 17-1 with the victory, while the Lyons ended their season with a record of 10-7.
In doubles action, MIT's No. 3 team of freshman Kevin Wang (Havertown, Pa.) and sophomore Eugene Oh (Alparetta, Ga.) scored the first point of the day, taking an 8-3 win over senior Dennis Scarpa (Cheshire, Conn./Xavier) and freshman David Gassen (Dusseldorf, Germany/Saddlebrook Prep). The Engineers' No. 2 team of seniors Matthew Skalak (Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y.) and Larry Pang (Torrance, Calif.) won over juniors Dan Sharon (Santa Monica, Calif./Brentwood School) and Ned Terrace (Chappaqua, N.Y./Horace Greeley) with a score of 8-2. To wrap up doubles, MIT's pairing of juniors Edwin Zhang (Falls Church, Va.) and Curtis Wu (Yorba Linda, Calif.) took an 8-4 triumph against freshmen Jonah Feit (Los Angeles, Calif./Milken Community) and Will White (Nantucket, Mass./Cape Cod Academy) at No. 1.
In singles play, Pang put MIT within one point of the win, defeating White at No. 2 with a score of 6-0, 6-1. Skalak clinched the victory for the Engineers, scoring a 6-2, 6-0 decision over junior Sam Jackson (Darien, Conn./Darien) at the No. 5 spot. With the outcome of the match already determined, the final four singles matches were not played.
MIT will return to the courts tomorrow to face the winner of the Clark University/Babson College match in the NEWMAC tournament final at 1:00 p.m. Wheaton concludes its season at 10-7 overall.
#1 MIT 5, #4 Wheaton 0
1. Jonah Feit (WHE) vs. Edwin Zhang (MIT) no result
2. Larry Pang (MIT) def. Will White (WHE) 6-0, 6-1
3. Dan Sharon (WHE) vs. Kevin Wang (MIT) no result
4. David Gassen (WHE) vs. Eugene Oh (MIT) no result
5. Matthew Skalak (MIT) def. Sam Jackson (WHE) 6-2, 6-0
6. Dennis Scarpa (WHE) vs. Tymor Hamamasy (MIT) no result
1. Edwin Zhang/Curtis Wu (MIT) def. Jonah Feit/Will White (WHE) 8-4
2. Matthew Skalak/Larry Pang (MIT) def. Dan Sharon/Ned Terrace (WHE) 8-2
3. Kevin Wang/Eugene Oh (MIT) def. Dennis Scarpa/David Gassen (WHE) 8-3