Dec 29, 2017
SCORE: Wheaton 65 - Salem State 52
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-4), (1-1 NEWMAC) - Salem State (3-7), (0-0 MASCAC)
LOCATION: Salem, Mass. (Twohig Gymnasium)
- The Lyons defeated the Vikings of Salem State University, 65-52, to advance to the championship round of the Salem State Holiday Classic vs. North Park University.
- Senior guard Rebecca Olivieri matched a career-high performance of 20 points off the bench for the Lyons, in addition to a pair of steals and a pair of rebounds in 26 minutes of work. Olivieri was nearly flawless, as she shot 6-6 from the line, 4-4 in 3-point range and 5-6 from field goal range.
- First year forward Mikayla Pucci trailed just behind Olivieri with 15 points and 8 boards, while Ruthie Zientek grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds for her second double-double (10 points / 11 rebounds) of her career.
- Kia Fernandes of Salem State also scored 20 points as a reserve to go along with 9 rebounds, 4 blocks and a steal.
- Courtney Paschal tallied 15 points in 21 minutes on the court for the Vikings.
- Wheaton outscored the Vikings 11-3 in the opening quarter before depositing the first 8 of the second for a 19-3 lead. Salem State fought back to score the next 7, cutting the lead to 19-10 before Olivieri answered with a 3-pointer with 4 minutes left in the half. The Lyons would score 6 to Salem's 5 over the remainder of the period to head into the break with a 28-15 advantage.
- Salem State put up 21 points to Wheaton's 17 in the third, as Fernandes and Paschal posted 9 and 8 points for the quarter, respectively.
- Trailing 45-38 to start the final period, the Vikings used a pair of Brianna Rodriguez free throws to cut the deficit down to 7 points at 45-38. Paschal shaved the gap down to six with a layup with 5:27 to go, but that would be as close as the hosts would get as Wheaton ended up knocking down 18 points over the remaining 4:31 minutes en route to a 65-52 victory.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 20-52 / Salem State 19-64
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 9-18 / Salem State 5-19
- Free Throw: Wheaton 16-18 / Salem State 9-13
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 12 / Salem State 13
- Field Goal %: Wheaton 38.5 / Salem State 29.7
- 3-Point %: Wheaton 50.0 / Salem State 26.3
- Rebounds: Wheaton 46 / Salem State 34