Lyons put scare into 10th-ranked Babson before falling shy, 13-9

Lyons put scare into 10th-ranked Babson before falling shy, 13-9

NORTON, MA- The Wheaton College women's lacrosse team scored the first five goals of the second half against 10th-ranked Babson College on Saturday, pulling to within 8-6 before ultimately falling by a 13-9 count at Keefe Field. The Lyons completed their regular season slate with a 5-10 overall mark and a 2-4 record in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC).

Wheaton will hold down the sixth seed in the upcoming NEWMAC Tournament, which begins with first-round games on Wednesday. Now 12-3 and 6-0, the Beavers won their 30th straight game against a league foe and earn a first-round bye as the top seed in the tournament. Babson's national ranking is according to the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA).

Four sophomores combined to record all of Wheaton's points, led by Hailey Colburn (Concord, NH/Concord) tallying three goals and two assists. Brittany Whynot (Fountain Hills, AZ/Fountain Hills) netted a hat trick, Sydney Ferguson (Jamestown, RI/North Kingstown) had a pair of markers, and Katie Powers (Ashburnham, MA/Cushing Academy) also scored. Junior keeper Marianna Marcellino (Milton, MA/Thayer Academy) was solid in nearly 40 minutes of relief, compiling 11 saves.

Babson senior Kaitlyn Pettengill (Hopkinton, MA/Hopkinton) notched a game-high seven goals and an assist, and freshman Jamie Spang (Kennebunk, ME/Kennebunk) added a hat trick. Junior Sarah Macary (Woodbury, CT/The Gunnery) made five stops.

After a Whynot tally 7:03 into the contest produced a 1-1 tie, the Beavers finished the opening stanza on a 7-0 run, getting four goals from Pettengill. However, Wheaton ran off five consecutive markers during an early 8:39 span of the second period, with Colburn recording two goals and two assists in the stretch.

Colburn's marker at 14:35 made it 8-6, but Pettengill responded with three straight tallies. Colburn brought the Lyons within 11-7 at 4:36 before Ferguson and Whynot scored 41 seconds apart in the final 1:41 to produce another four-goal margin, but the hosts came no closer.