Wheaton doubles up Wellesley in opening round of NEWMAC Tournament

Wheaton doubles up Wellesley in opening round of NEWMAC Tournament

NORTON, Mass. - The fourth-seeded Wheaton College women's lacrosse team is headed to the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Tournament semifinal round for the first time since 2006, as the host Lyons handed fifth seed Wellesley College a 10-5 loss during Wednesday's opening round on Keefe Field.

Wheaton, which edged the Blue last week in Wellesley, improved to 7-11 and will travel to top seed Springfield College on Saturday for a 1:00 p.m. start.  Wellesley finishes its season with an 8-8 mark.

Senior goalie Marianna Marcellino (Milton, Mass./Thayer Academy) led the Lyons with nine stops, including turning aside seven shots in the second half.  Junior Hailey Colburn (Concord, N.H./Concord) and freshman Leila Mills (Brunswick, Maine/Brunswick) recorded two goals and one assist each, while junior Chelsea McLeod (Concord, N.H./Concord) scored twice.

For the visitors, senior Jenny Holland (Bethesda, Md./Sidwell Friends School) notched a pair of goals, and junior Meredith Roy (Merrimack, N.H./Phillips Exeter Academy) added a marker and an assist.  Senior Mary Mattia (Atlanta, Ga./Lovett School) made nine stops.

Wheaton, which won all nine first-half draw controls and the game's initial 12, tallied the contest's first three goals by the 15:26 mark of the opening stanza.  Colburn scored once and assisted another during the run.  After the Blue made the score 3-1 at 14:11, Colburn won the ensuing draw and marched down the field for her second tally of the afternoon.  After Mills' second marker of the frame extended the Lyon lead to 5-1, each team found the back of the net in the last 5:29, leaving the halftime score at 6-2.

A goal by junior Sydney Ferguson (Jamestown, R.I./North Kingstown) 26 seconds into the second half provided the Lyons with their largest lead up to that point.  Sparked by back-to-back tallies from Holland, Wellesley used a 3-0 run to cut its deficit to 7-5 with 8:22 remaining before Wheaton responded with three goals of its own in the final 6:03 to seal the win.