Cooke & Marlowe win 8-1 at No.1 doubles
HILTON HEAD, S.C. – The Wheaton College women's tennis team posted a commanding 9-0 triumph over Nazareth College in non-conference action this afternoon in the Lyons first match of their spring break trip to South Carolina.
Senior Jesse Boggis (Hopkinton, Mass./Hopkinton), sophomore Kathryn Burleson (Osterville, Mass./Cape Cod Academy), junior Lyndsay Cooke (Bakersfield, Calif./Bakersfield Christian), freshman Caroline DiNicola-Fawley (Brattleboro, Vt./Brattleboro Union) and sophomore Alexandra Marlowe (Mesa, Ariz./Mountain View) were all double winners for Wheaton.
Cooke claimed a 6-0, 1-6, 10-2 victory over Nazareth College junior Alison Tepas (Orchard Park, N.Y./Orchard Park) at No.1 singles. Cooke also combined with Marlowe for an 8-1 win at No.1 doubles. Marlowe turned in a 6-4, 6-1 triumph against Golden Flyers senior Alexandra Vizgaitis (Fayetteville, N.Y./Fayetteville-Manlius) at No.2 singles.
Boggis defeated Nazareth senior Christine Cary (Selkirk, N.Y./Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk) 6-4, 6-3 at No.3 singles while Burleson posted a 6-1, 7-6, 7-4 win over freshman Ami Petosa (Chittenango, N.Y./Chittenango) in No.4 singles play. Burleson teamed up with DiNicola-Fawley in No.2 doubles for an 8-6 triumph and Boggis joined senior Julia Parmakian (Gorham, Maine/Gorham) in No.3 doubles for an 8-2 victory.
Wheaton junior Jessica Moore (Middletown, R.I./The Prout School) earned a 6-3, 6-2 win over freshman Hannah Teter (Homer, N.Y./Homer) at No.6 singles and DiNicola-Fawley won 6-3, 6-1 against sophomore Elizabeth Crane (Rome, N.Y./Westmoreland) to round out singles play.
Wheaton (9-4, 4-3 NEWMAC) takes on Gettysburg College tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. Nazareth (6-5, 6-1 EMPIRE 8) takes on Rhodes tomorrow at 8:30 a.m.
Wheaton 9, Nazareth 0
1. Lyndsay Cooke (WHE) def. Alison Tepas (NAZ) 6-0, 1-6, 10-2
2. Alexandra Marlowe (WHE) def. Alexandra Vizgaitis (NAZ) 6-4, 6-1
3. Jesse Boggis (WHE) def. Christine Cary (NAZ) 6-4, 6-3
4. Kathryn Burleson (WHE) def. Ami Petosa (NAZ) 6-1, 7-6, 7-4
5. Jessica Moore (WHE) def. Hannah Teter (NAZ) 6-3, 6-2
6. Caroline DiNicola-Fawley (WHE) def. Elizabeth Crane (NAZ) 6-3, 6-1
1. Marlowe/Cooke (WHE) def. Vizgaitis/Tepas (NAZ) 8-1
2. DiNicola-Fawley/Burleson (WHE) def. Cary/Petosa (NAZ) 8-6
3. Boggis/Parmakian (WHE) def. Crane/Pagan (NAZ) 8-2
*- doubles matches played first