Lyons take top-three singles matches
NEW LONDON, N.H. – The Wheaton College women's tennis team wrapped up the 2012-13 season with a 5-4 win over Colby-Sawyer in non-conference action on Sunday afternoon at Kelsey Courts.
Wheaton junior Lyndsay Cooke (Bakersfield, Calif./Bakersfield Christian) defeated junior Liz Lincoln (Plymouth, Mass./Plymouth North) in straight-sets, 6-0, 6-0 at No.1 singles. Sophomore Alexandra Marlowe (Mesa, Ariz./Mountain View) turned in a 6-1, 6-0 victory over freshman Ashlyn Ramsay (Barkhamsted, Conn./Northwestern Regional) at No.2 singles and senior Jesse Boggis (Hopkinton, Mass./Hopkinton) closed out her final match with a 7-5, 6-3 triumph against freshman Charlotte Horton (South Hamilton, Mass./Hamilton-Wenham) at No.3.
Freshman Izzy Gorham (Durham, N.H./Oyster River) claimed the Lyons last win in singles play as she defeated sophomore Oxana Tkachenko (Lviv, Ukraine/White Mountain School), 6-3, 6-4 at No.6.
Wheaton trailed 2-1 after doubles play as Cooke and Marlowe picked up an 8-1 decision over senior Claire Toffey (Barnstable, Mass./Barnstable) and Lincoln at No.1.
Wheaton concludes its season at 11-7 overall while Colby-Sawyer (17-4) will play in the NEAC Crossover Championship in Latham, N.Y. on Sunday, May 5 at a time to be determined later.
Wheaton 5, Colby-Sawyer 4
1. Lyndsay Cooke (WHE) def. Liz Lincoln (CSC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Alexandra Marlowe (WHE) def. Ashlyn Ramsay (CSC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Jesse Boggis (WHE) def. Charlotte Horton (CSC) 7-5, 6-3
4. Claire Toffey (CSC) def. Kathryn Burleson (WHE) 6-0, 6-3
5. Donna Gordon (CSC) def. Jessica Moore (WHE) 6-0, 6-4
6. Izzy Gorham (WHE) def. Oxana Tkachenko (CSC) 6-3, 6-4
1. Lyndsay Cooke/Alexandra Marlowe (WHE) def. Claire Toffey/Liz Lincoln (CSC) 8-1
2. Ashlyn Ramsay/Donna Gordon (CSC) def. Izzy Gorham/Jessica Moore (WHE) 8-0
3. Charlotte Horton/Oxana Tkachenko (CSC) def. Caroline DiNicola/Kathryn Burleson (WHE) 8-3