Oct 03, 2017
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Emerson 0 (25-12, 28-26, 25-19)
RECORDS: Wheaton (13-7, 3-3 NEWMAC) – Emerson (8-9, 2-5 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- Claire Cansler paced the way for the Lyons with a match-high 10 kills, while also coming up with one ace and two digs. First-years Julia Palomba and Casey Dinga earned nine kills on the night, while sophomore Nikita Selivan chipped in eight.
- Becca Houghton ended the night with four kills to go with her match-high 32 assists. The sophomore also finished with two aces and seven digs.
- Stephanie Martin finished with a match-high 14 digs, while Cathryn MacGregor pulled up 12 and Palomba ended with 10. MacGregor also ended the night with five kills, two assists, and an ace.
- Wheaton got straight to work in the opening set, taking a 3-0 lead on back-to-back kills by Selivan and an ace from Houghton. Wheaton, who never trailed in the set, allowed the visiting Lions just 12 points.
- The Lyons once again came out strong, this time opening the second set on a 5-1 run, which was aided by unforced errors from Emerson. Despite falling behind, Emerson found a way back into the match, taking its first lead of the night at 13-12. The two sides battled for every point the rest of the way with Wheaton coming out on top, 28-26, courtesy of a Selivan kill and Emerson error.
- The final set opened as another point for point, back and forth. With the match tied at 11-11, Emerson took a timeout which seemed to shift the momentum in Wheaton's favor, with the Lyons coming out of the break and taking the lead for good on a Palomba ace.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .284 - Emerson .158
- Service aces: Wheaton 8 - Emerson 1
- Digs: Wheaton 51 - Emerson 41
- Block solos: Wheaton 0 - Emerson 2
- Block assists: Wheaton 4 - Emerson 8