Nov 04, 2017
SCORE: Wheaton - MIT (25-10, 15-25, 25-21, 20-25, 10-15)
RECORDS: Wheaton (24-9, 7-3 NEWMAC) - MIT (27-2, 10-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- During the regular season, Wheaton fell to the undefeated Engineers, 3-0 at MIT.
- The Lyons claimed the first set in a big way with a 25-10 victory that saw five kills from Claire Cansler , five digs from Stephanie Martin and four digs from Becca Houghton.
- In the 25-10 set 1 win, the Lyons played even with MIT until 9-9, when they scored ten unanswered points for a 19-9 lead. The Engineers added one, but Wheaton scored the final six to seal the deal.
- MIT claimed the second set, 25-15, to knot the match at 1-1. The Engineers came out to lead 3-0, but Wheaton clawed back to even it out at five apiece and then within one at 10-9. An 11-0 MIT run would eventually put the set away for the hosts.
- Wheaton took a close, 25-21 third set to gain a 2-1 lead over the Engineers. Julia Palomba and Houghton combined for five service aces while Cansler and Nikita Selivan notched a block each.
- The Engineers forced a fifth set with a 25-20, set 4 win. Carly Staub recorded 10 kills, while Cansler posted 9 for Wheaton. Carly Silvernale and Steph Martin posted 27 and 21 digs, respectively.
- The final set began with a 3-0 Wheaton lead, but MIT pushed ahead to come out on top, 15-10.
- Silvernale led all players with 28 digs, while Martin led the Lyons with 26. Houghton ended the day with 14 and Palomba and Cathryn Macgregor chipped in with 11 each.
- Alli Davanzo and Staub each recorded 11 kills for MIT, while Cansler notched 10.
- The Lyons end their season 24-9 overall, which is the most wins since the program's 29-12 season in 1997.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .156 - MIT .145
- Service aces: Wheaton 10 - MIT 12
- Digs: Wheaton 75 - MIT 93
- Block solos: Wheaton 3 - MIT 2
- Block assists: Wheaton 10 - MIT 6