SCORE: Wheaton 14 - Nichols 5
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Nichols (0-1)
LOCATION: Northboro, Mass. (New England Baseball Complex Field 1)
- Wheaton was led by a 5-for-6 performance from sophomore Bryant Salkind, who knocked in five runs, while scoring twice himself. Sophomore Nick Raposo ended the day with a 3-for-5 performance with one RBI and three runs scored.
- Senior Brady Furdon got the start for Wheaton, pitching six complete, giving up four runs on eight hits. Classmate Jimmy Gowen collected the win, while Zach Pipa and John Mikosz both saw time on the mound.
- The Bison jumped ahead 1-0 in the first inning, but Wheaton responded with a run of its own off the bat of Salkind. The sophomore singled to center, knocking in Raposo.
- The Lyons took its first lead of the contest in the fifth inning with three runs, starting with another RBI single from Salkind. Conor Gammond knocked in the next run, which was followed by a sacrifice fly from captain Chris Ruocco.
- Nichols tied the game at 4-4 after plating a run in the fifth and two in the seventh.
- Wheaton responded with a huge bottom half of the seventh, scoring eight runs to recapture the lead for good. Ruocco started the scoring with a hard hit ball to third that brought in Jared Sharkey.
- The Bison scored their final run of the game in the eighth, which was countered by two runs from the Lyons in the bottom half of the inning.
- Hits: Wheaton 15 / Nichols 12
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / Nichols 4
- RBIs: Wheaton 5 / Nichols 13
- Left on Base: Wheaton 13 / Nichols 11
- Walks: Wheaton 8 / Nichols 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 7 / Nichols 7
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Tuesday, March 6 at 5 p.m. against Nichols at the NE Baseball Complex.