SCORE: Wheaton 16 - Nichols 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Nichols (1-2)
LOCATION: Northboro, Mass. (New England Baseball Complex Field 1)
- Wheaton held Nichols scoreless through six innings, with Dan Southerland pitching five of those six innings, giving up just two hits, while striking out seven.
- First-year Patrick Arter took the mound for 3.1 innings, surrendering the Bison's two runs on three hits. Sophomore Andrew Iannuci came in in relief, striking out one of the two batters he faced.
- Jimmy Gianquitti ended the contest 2-for-4 from the plate, scoring three times, while knocking in one and walking twice. Nick Raposo and Jared Sharkey also finished 2-for-4 from the plate.
- Wheaotn put up two runs in the first inning with an RBI groundout by Raposo and RBI single from Bryant Salkind.
- Salkind picked up two more RBI's in the second, knocking in Raposo and Matt Cook. Raposo also added another RBI in the inning.
- A huge, five run fifth inning put the Lyons up by 10, which was followed by three more runs in the sixth and two in teh seventh.
- The Bison finally borke through in the in the bottom of the seventh. Nichols added its final run in the eighth.
- Wheaton ended its scoring in the ninth with Chris Ruocco coming in to score.
- Hits: Wheaton 17 / Nichols 5
- Errors: Wheaton 0 / Nichols 4
- RBIs: Wheaton 14 / Nichols 2
- Left on Base: Wheaton 13 / Nichols 7
- Walks: Wheaton 6 / Nichols 4
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 10 / Nichols 11
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Friday, March 9 at 6:30 p.m. against Penn St.-Altoona in game one of their spring break series.