SCORE: #21 Wheaton 4 - Washington University- St. Louis 5
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - WashU (5-3)
LOCATION: Auburndale, Fla. (Lake Myrtle Field #4)
- Senior Brady Furdon got the start on the mound for the Lyons, pitching 6.2 innings, giving up three runs on five hits, while striking out three and walking just one. Senior Joe Bongiovanni picked up the loss after giving up the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth. Bongiovanni ended the contest with two runs on four hits, striking out three.
- Senior Chris Ruocco ended the game 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored, while first-year Conor Gammond was 2-for-4 from the place with an RBI and run scored.
- Wheaton, who were the visitors, got things going in the second inning with Gammond scoring on an error by the Bear pitcher.
- WashU responded in its half of the inning, before taking a 2-1 lead in the fifth.
- The Lyons recaptured the lead in the sixth, starting with an RBI single to right from sophomore Bryant Salkind that score Matt Cook. Cook reached earlier in the inning on one of Wheaton's three walks. Nick Raposo came around to score the Lyons final run of the inning on a Gammond single through the right side.
- The Bears tied the game at 3-3 in the seventh, before taking a 4-3 advantage in the eighth.
- Wheaton tied the game in the ninth with Ruocco reaching on a walk, before moving to third on a WashU throwing error. The senior captain came around to score moments later on an RBI groundout from Jimmy Gianquitti.
- Bongiovanni retired the first two runners he faced in the bottom of the ninth, before a double from John Brinkman set up a walkoff RBI single for AJ Dunham, handing the Bears the win.
- Hits: Wheaton 7 / WashU 9
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / WashU 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 3 / WashU 5
- Left on Base: Wheaton 7 / WashU 9
- Walks: Wheaton 3 / WashU 1
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 5 / WashU 6
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Sunday, March 11 for a double-header (7-innings) against Beloit on Lake Myrtle Field #2.