SCORE: Wheaton 10 - Salve Regina 11
RECORDS: Wheaton (4-3, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Salve Regina (3-2)
LOCATION: Winter Haven, Fla. (Chain of Lakes)
- Nick Raposo and Conor Gammond each finished 2-for-5 from the plate, with Gammond knocking in two runs and scoring twice himself. Senior Matt Cook went 1-for-2 on the day with three walks and three RBI.
- First-year Gavin Reily got the first start of his career for the Lyons, pitching six complete, giving up just three runs on five hits, while striking out five and walking just one. Jimmy Gowen, who was one of four pitchers to come in in relief of Reily, picked up the loss.
- Salve Regina, who were the visitors, struck first with a single run in the second, which was quickly erased by the Lyons in the bottom half of the inning. Cook drove in both runs with a double to right center that score Ryan McKeon and Chris Ruocco.
- Salve Regina recaptured the lead in the third inning. It too Wheaton until the sixth inning to reclaim the lead. The Lyons did that with a two out, two-RBI double down the right field line by Trevor Marques who pinch hit for McKeon. The double drove in Chris Ruocco and Gammond.
- The Seagulls took a one run lead once again in the eighth before blowing it wide open in the top of the ninth. The Lyons surrendered six runs to Salve, handing them an 11-4 deficit.
- Wheaton remained composed heading into the bottom of the ninth with Jimmy Gianquitti leading off the inning and a huge rally with a single up the middle. After moving to second on a well laid down sacrifice bunt by Willy Boyd, Gianquitti came around to score on a double to left center by Raposo. Bryant Salkind knocked in Raposo with the next at bat with a single up the middle. A single up the middle put Jared Sharkey on base, before both Sharkey and Salkind moved into scoring position on a wild pitch. That setup Gammond for another RBI opportunity, which he took advantage of with a single to right that scored both Lyon base runners. Ruocco kept the one out rally going with a double to center that scored Gammond.
- With the deficit cut to 11-9, the Seagulls picked up another out before an error by the shortstop allowed Ruocco to score. However, that would be as close as Salve Regina would let the Lyons get, ending the game with a fly out to right field.
- Hits: Wheaton 12 / Salve Regina 12
- Errors: Wheaton 5 / Salve Regina 1
- RBIs: Wheaton 10 / Salve Regina 10
- Left on Base: Wheaton 9 / Salve Regina 6
- Walks: Wheaton 6 / Salve Regina 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 6 / Salve Regina 6
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Wednesday, March 14 at 9:45 a.m. against SUNY Oswego on Lake Myrtle Field #4.