SCORE: Wheaton 6 - Rowan 8
RECORDS: Wheaton (4-5, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Rowan (9-1)
LOCATION: Auburndale, Fla. (Lake Myrtle Field #6)
- Senior Brady Furdon got the start and the loss for Wheaton, pitching five complete innings, giving up eight runs on seven hits, while striking out and walking three. Zach Pipa and Jimmy Gowen both came in in relief with Pipa striking out two and Gowen three.
- Chris Ruocco and Matt Cook both finished 2-for-4 from the plate with Cook drilling his first career home run over the fence in right center.
- Trailing 2-1 after the first, Wheaton earned a run back in the second with Cook reaching on a fielding error by the third baseman, which allowed first-year Conor Gammond to come around and score.
- Rowan went on to score four runs in the third and fourth, taking a 6-1 lead into the sixth.
- Jared Sharkey got the scoring going for Wheaton in the sixth with a three run homerun to left field that brought in Bryant Salkind and Nick Raposo. A Ryan McKeon sacrifice fly to center ended the scoring with Ruocco scoring on the play.
- The Profs responded with two runs in the bottom of the sixth, pushing their lead to 8-5.
- Cook led off the ninth for the Lyons, hammering the ball to right center on a 2-2 count, ending the scoring for Wheaton.
- Hits: Wheaton 7 / Rowan 9
- Errors: Wheaton 3 / Rowan 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 5 / Rowan 7
- Left on Base: Wheaton 5 / Rowan 7
- Walks: Wheaton 3 / Rowan 3
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 5 / Rowan 8
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Friday, March 16 at 9:15 a.m. against Webster on Lake Myrtle Field #5