SCORE: Wheaton 5 - Springfield 9
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-8, 2-1 NEWMAC) - Springfield (11-3-2, 3-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Springfield, Mass. - Archie Allen Field
- Tommy Larason started on the mound for the Lyons, facing 24 batters in 4.1 innings. Larason struck out 4 and gave up 5 runs on 9 hits before Jimmy Gowen, Patrick Arter and Zach Pipa combined for relief.
- Willy Boyd finished 3-5 from the plate while scoring a run, as Matt Cook and Chris Ruocco each recorded a pair of hits in the outing. Nick Raposo led the visitors with two RBIs.
- Wheaton scored early for a 1-0 lead in the first after Raposo batted Ruocco's run in with a grounder to Springfield's shortstop.
- Springfield used their next three innings to build a 3-1 lead, capitalizing off of a Noah Bleakley double to bat in Mark Joao and Jack Cooney as well as a Joao run scored in the third.
- A big fourth inning for Wheaton saw singles from Cook and Ruocco send in Boyd and Ryan McKeon in addition to runs scored by Cook and Jimmy Gianquitti for a 5-3 lead.
- The Pride were quiet in the bottom of the fourth, but a Bleakley triple would spark 6 unanswered runs over the fifth and sixth to seal the 9-5 decision.
- Hits: Wheaton 11 / Springfield 15
- Errors: Wheaton 0 / Springfield 1
- RBIs: Wheaton 5 / Springfield 9
- Left on Base: Wheaton 13 / Springfield 9
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 7 / Springfield 6
UP NEXT: Wheaton takes the field at Sidell Stadium for the first time in 2018 tomorrow, March 28, as they host nearby Bridgewater State for a 4:00 p.m., nonconference matchup.