SCORE: Wheaton 5 - Springfield 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (10-9, 5-1 NEWMAC) - Springfield (13-5, 3-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Springfield, Mass.
- Wheaton first-year Gavin Reily pitched eight complete innings for the Lyons, picking up his second win of the season, giving up just four hits, while striking out five and walking just one.
- John Mikosz came in to close out the game in the ninth, giving up two hits, striking out two and walking one.
- Wheaton had several players with strong performances at the plate, which included triples from Nick Raposo, Matt Cook, and Jared Sharkey.
- The Lyons got the scoring started in the bottom of the first Cook coming around to score on a Springfield error that allowed Raposo to reach first. Cook led off the inning with his second triple of his career. Raposo came around to score moments later on an RBI ground out from Bryant Salkind.
- Raposo came around to score the Lyons only run of the third inning on an RBI groundout from Conor Gammond, while a sacrifice fly from Raposo in the fourth knocked in Willy Boyd.
- Leading 4-0, Wheaton ended the scoring in the fifth with a groundout from Trevor Marques that plated Sharkey. Sharkey led off the inning with his triple, which found its way down the right field line.
- Hits: Wheaton 6 / Springfield 6
- Errors: Wheaton 1 / Springfield 2
- RBIs: Wheaton 4 / Springfield 0
- Left on Base: Wheaton 9 / Springfield 7
- Walks: Wheaton 6 / Springfield 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 2 / Springfield 7
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Friday, April 6 at 3:30 p.m. for the first of the Lyons three game series against the Beavers of Babson College. The game will be played at Babson.