Posted: Apr 10, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 10 - WPI 6
RECORDS: Wheaton (11-12, 6-4 NEWMAC) - WPI (11-14, 2-8 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Northboro, Mass. (NE Baseball Complex)
- Wheaton first-year Gavin Reily picked up his third win of the season to remain undefeated, pitching eight complete innings, giving up five runs on eight hits, while striking out a career-high seven. Zach Pipa closed out the ninth inning for the Lyons.
- Willy Boyd ended the game 2-for-5 with two runs scored and three RBI, which included his third homerun of the season.
- Trevor Marques put the Lyons ahead in the second inning with a solo homerun to center field. The homerun is the second of Marques' career.
- The Engineers took the lead in the fourth inning with an RBI double from Tyrone Patterson and RBI single from Josh Herlands.
- Wheaton recaptured the lead, this time for good, in the fifth inning, starting with a double to right field from Jared Sharkey that drove in Nick Raposo and Chris Ruocco. Sharkey scored moments later after moving to third on a two-out single from Conor Gammond, before coming around to score on the throw to first. Boyd cleared the bases later in the inning with his homerun over the fence in right.
- The Engineers pulled within three runs in the bottom of the sixth with Steven Gallagher and Evan Lacroix coming in on a double down the left field line from Patterson.
- The Lyons tacked on three more runs in the seventh, starting with a sacrifice fly to left from Ruocco that brought in Ryan McKeon. McKeon led off the inning with a walk. Raposo scored the next run with a double to right that moved Cook to third and sent Boyd home. The scoring ended for the Lyons with another sacrifice fly, this time from Bryant Salkind that gave Cook time to make his way home.
- WPI added one run in both the eighth and the ninth, but it would not be able to get any closer.
- Hits: Wheaton 11 / WPI 11
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / WPI 2
- RBIs: Wheaton 10 / WPI 6
- Left on Base: Wheaton 12 / WPI 6
- Walks: Wheaton 8 / WPI 1
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 3 / WPI 8