Posted: Apr 11, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 14 - Suffolk 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (12-12, 6-4 NEWMAC) - Suffolk (8-14)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Sidell Stadium)
- Wheaton was led by a 3-for-4 performance from Conor Gammond, while Chris Ruocco went 3-for-5 from the plate with three RBI and both Brody Ashley and Trevor Marques ended the contest 2-for-4.
- Senior Brady Furdon collected his third win of the season after pitching six complete, giving up just three runs on five hits, while striking out three and walking none. Jimmy Gowen came in to pitch the seventh and eighth, while Patrick Arter closed out the ninth.
- With the bases loaded in the first, Ashley came around to score on a ground out by Bryant Salkind.
- The Rams took the lead in the top of the second, plating three runs, two of which came on a double to center from Ben Isaak. Wheaton responded in the bottom half of the inning with Ashley knocking in Marques on a single to center and Ruocco doubling to left that drove in two more runs.
- After finding a gap in right field that allowed him to leg out a triple, Ryan McKeon, came around to score on a sacrifice bunt from Willy Boyd.
- The Lyons blew the game wide open in the sixth, plating four runs on five hits, starting with a solo homerun to center from Jared Sharkey. The homerun is the second of the season for the junior outfielder. With two outs, Boyd kept the inning alive with a single through the right side that knocked in Gammond from second. Ruocco and Raposo ended the scoring, starting with an RBI single to left from the senior shortstop, which was followed by an RBI double down the right field line from the sophomore catcher.
- Wheaton ended the scoring in the seventh, this time scoring five runs on just four hits. The scoring started with a bases loaded sacrficie fly to center from McKeon that drove in Sharkey. With two outs and the bases still loaded, a walk to Ruocco sent Marques home, which was followed by a single to center from Raposo that sent Gammond and Boyd home. Salkind brought in the final run of the game with an RBI single to left.
- Hits: Wheaton 18 / Suffolk 7
- Errors: Wheaton 1 / Suffolk 2
- RBIs: Wheaton 13 / Suffolk 2
- Left on Base: Wheaton 6 / Suffolk 4
- Walks: Wheaton 4 / Suffolk 0
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 4 / Suffolk 5