Apr 17, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 8 - WPI 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (16-12, 10-4 NEWMAC) - WPI (11-18, 3-11 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Sidell Stadium)
- Wheaton senior Brady Furdon picked up his fourth win of the season, pitching five complete innings, giving up just one run on five hits while striking out two. Gavin Reily followed up in the sixth, pitching three innings, surrendering just two hits and striking out three. Patrick Arter closed the game for the Lyons, allowing just one hit while striking out two.
- Matt Cook finished the game 3-for-5, with one run scored and three RBIs while Chris Ruocco also finished 3-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI.
- Junior Willy Boyd ended the game 2-for-4 with one run scored while Ryan McKeon finished 1-for-2 with a walk and came around to score both times he reached.
- Cook started the Lyons off in the bottom of the second by singling into right field to bring Ryan McKeon and Bryant Salkind home. Boyd would follow up with a run himself due to a passed ball.
- WPI was able to get on the board in the top of the fourth with a double to left field by David Larson, allowing Steven Gallagher to score making it 3-1 Engineers.
- The Lyons answered shortly after with a single from Jimmy Gianquitti to allow McKeon to score again.
- Wheaton found momentum in the bottom of the sixth inning, tacking on four runs, starting with Gianquitti crossing home thanks to a Cook triple. Ruocco was able to single down the left field line to bring Cook home, while Raposo followed up with single to bring Ruocco around the bases. The scoring ended for the Lyons with a sacrifice fly from Bryant Salkind that gave Raposo time to make his way home.
- Hits: Wheaton 15 / WPI 8
- Errors: Wheaton 0 / WPI 1
- RBIs: Wheaton 6 / WPI 1
- Left on Base: Wheaton 9 / WPI 8
- Walks: Wheaton 2 / WPI 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 6 / WPI 7