Posted: Apr 20, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 14 - MIT 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (17-12, 11-4 NEWMAC) - MIT 15-9, 10-4 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Cambridge, Mass. (Fran O'Brien Field)
- Ryan McKeon led the way for the Lyons, finishing 2-for-3 from the plate with three runs scored, an RBI and three walks. Willy Boyd and Matt Cook each went 2-for-4 with two walks and two RBI, while Boyd came around to score four times.
- Senior Dan Southerland picked up his fifth win of the season, pitching eight complete innings, giving up just one run on five hits, while striking out five and walking just one. Andrew Iannucci and Zach Pipa came in to close out the ninth.
- After a scoreless first inning, Wheaton got the scoring started with an RBI groundout from Boyd that brought in Bryant Salkind, who reached earlier after being hit by a pitch. The Engineers countered in the bottom half of the inning with a solo homerun to left field from Andrew Krause.
- Both teams escaped the third inning without allowing a run, which was the last scoreless inning the Lyons would have.
- McKeon led off the fourth with a solo homerun to left field handing Wheaton the lead back for good. The homerun is the first of the season and second of McKeon's career. Boyd also came around to score in the inning on an RBI single from Cook.
- Wheaton put up three runs in the fifth without a single hit. The first run came across on bases loaded walks to Jimmy Gianquitti and Cook, before Boyd came home on a fielder's choice from Chris Ruocco.
- Salkind followed McKeon's lead and led off the sixth with a solo homerun of his own over the fence in left center. The homerun is his first of the season and his career. Boyd brought in the next run with a triple to center that scored McKeon, who reached on a walk. Boyd ended the scoring, coming around on a wild pitch.
- Trevor Marques scored Wheaton's lone run of the seventh with a solo homerun to left field. Marques knocked in two runs for the Lyons in the eighth with a double to center that plated Ruocco and Cook.
- Leading 12-1, Wheaton added its final two runs of the game in the ninth on an RBI single from Nick Raposo and an Engineer error that allowed Boyd to score.
- The Engineers managed to plate one more run before the game was over wtih Thomas Allison scoring on a bases loaded walk to Jared Schwait.
- Hits: Wheaton 13 / MIT 5
- Errors: Wheaton 0 / MIT 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 12 / MIT 2
- Left on Base: Wheaton 18 / MIT 7
- Walks: Wheaton 16 / MIT 5
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 10 / MIT 6