Apr 29, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 5 - Eastern Conn. State 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (21-14) - East Conn. State (19-13)
LOCATION: Mansfield, Conn. (Eastern Stadium)
- Wheaton was led by a 2-for-3 performance from Jimmy Gianquitti, while Matt Cook, Chris Ruocco, and Willy Boyd all finished 2-for-4 with Cook walking once.
- First-year Gavin Reily got the start for Wheaton, pitching six complete, giving up just one run on five hits, while striking out four and walking just one. Jimmy Gowen came in in relief, as did Zach Pipa, who collected the win, while Patrick Arter was credited with a save.
- Wheaton took the lead in the top of the first inning with an RBI sacrifice fly from Nick Raposo that plated Cook who led off the game with a walk, before moving to third on a single to center from Ruocco.
- Gianquitti, who led off the third with a single to center, came around to score on a Cook double with help from the Eastern Connecticut State left fielder.
- Ruocco made it a 3-0 game in the top of the fifth with an RBI single to left that knocked in Gianquitti from second.
- Eastern Conn. got on the board with a single run in the bottom of the six, before tying the game at 3-3 in the seventh.
- The Lyons plated what would prove to be the game winning run in the eighth on a ECS error that allowed Ruocco to come home. Bryant Salkind also scored on the play.
- Hits: Wheaton 9 / ECS 10
- Errors: Wheaton 1 / ECS 2
- RBIs: Wheaton 3 / ECS 3
- Left on Base: Wheaton 5 / ECS 8
- Walks: Wheaton 1 / ECS 3
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 9 / ECS 9