GAME ONE: Wheaton 5 - Babson 11
RECORDS: Wheaton (23-17, 13-4 NEWMAC) - Babson (32-10, 14-3 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Babson Park, Mass. (Govoni Field)
- Conor Gammond and Chris Ruocco ended the game 3-for-4 for the Lyons with Gammond picking up an RBI. Jared Sharkey finished 2-for-4 with four RBI and a run scored.
- Trevor Marques pitched two innings for Wheaton, while Jimmy Gowen, Tommy Larason, and Zach Pipa all taking the mound in relief.
- Wheaton took a 3-0 lead on the strength of a three-run blast to right by Sharkey in the first and made it 4-1 in the second on Gammond's RBI double to the gap in left center. The lead was short-lived, however, as the Green and White erupted for four runs in the bottom of the third.
- Babson loaded the bases with three straight singles while drawing back-to-back walks to cut the deficit to 4-3. Eric Jaun came through with an RBI single to right and Jake Oliger plated another run with a sacrifice fly to center for a 5-4 advantage.
- The Beavers broke things open with a four-run sixth, extending the margin to 9-4.
- Sharkey got the Lyons within four with an RBI single in the top of the eighth, but the Green and White answered with a pair of runs to make it a six-run game.
- Babson will find out where it is headed and who it will play in the NCAA Tournament late when the Division III field is released late next Sunday.
- Hits: Wheaton 11 / Babson 16
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / Babson 1
- RBIs: Wheaton 5 / Babson 11
- Left on Base: Wheaton 3 / Babson 9
- Walks: Wheaton 0 / Babson 4
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 5 / Babson 4
UP NEXT: The Lyons ended the season 23-17 overall and 13-4 in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action. The tournament championship appearance was the eighth in the last nine seasons for Wheaton.