GAME ONE: Wheaton 7 - Nichols 4
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Nichols (0-1)
LOCATION: Northborough, Mass. (New England Baseball Complex)
- The Wheaton College baseball team opened the 2019 season Friday afternoon against the Nichols Bison at the New England Baseball Complex with the Lyons pulling out a 7-4 victory.
- Wheaton was led by a 3-for-4 performance from Bryant Salkind, which included a double and one RBI. Jared Sharkey and Zach Demattio both finished 2-for-4, with Sharkey hitting a two-run homerun.
- First-year Griffin Young got the start for the Lyons, with Zach Pipa, Zach Clesas, Dominic Cunha, and Patrick Arter all taking the mound. Cleasas picked up the win for Wheaton after 1.1 innings of work.
- Nichols was led by Cameron Legvold who ended the game with a 2-for-3 night from the plate, while David Caron knocked in two runs on a 2-for-4 day.
- Wheaton got things going in the bottom of the first, starting with Salkind's double to center, which knocked in Nick Raposo and moved Sharkey to third. Sharkey came home on the play after the shortstop tried to catch Salkind advancing to second and threw the ball into the outfield, giving Sharkey room to go home. First-year Andrew Manni ended the scoring moments later with an RBI single down the left field line that scored Salkind.
- The Bison earned a run back in the second with a single to left from Evan Kastauskas that moved Chris Anderson to third, before the right fielder advanced home on a Lyon throwing error.
- Christian Naccari came around to score in the third inning, pulling the Bison within a run on an RBI single from Caron.
- Wheaton pushed its lead back to two runs in the fourth on an RBI single up the middle from Demattio that brought in Manni.
- The Bison tacked on one run in both the fifth and sixth innings, pulling the score to 4-4.
- The bottom of the sixth started with a triple down the left field line from Demattio which setup Willy Boyd for an RBI sacrifice fly that brought in the first-year.
- The scoring ended in the bottom of the seventh with a two-run homerun over the fence in left field from Sharkey. The homer, which picked up Raposo who led off the inning with a walk, is the 10th of Sharkey's career.
- Hits: Wheaton 12 / Nichols 10
- Errors: Wheaton 3 / Nichols 2
- RBIs: Wheaton 6 / Nichols 3
- Left on Base: Wheaton 7 / Nichols 9
- Walks: Wheaton 2 / Nichols 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 5 / Nichols 10
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action next week for the RussMatt Invitational in Auburndale, Fla.