GAME ONE: Wheaton 5 - No. 15 Webster 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Webster (4-2)
LOCATION: Winter Haven, Fla. (Chain of Lakes)
- The Wheaton College baseball team opened the RussMatt Invitational with a 5-2 win over Webster University (Mo.), behind a six-inning, six strikeouts, one walk and one run performance from sophomore Paul Prue who got the start and the win for the Lyons. The win is the first of lefty's career.
- Junior Nick Raposo ended the contest 3-for-3 from the plate with a walk. First baseman Bryant Salkind finished 1-for-3 with two runs scored and a walk, while Willy Boyd knocked in two runs on a 1-for-4 night.
- The Gorloks were led by Danny Strohm who finished 3-for-4 from the plate, while Kyler Kent finished 2-for-4.
- After Prue sat the Gorloks down in order through two innings, the Lyons bats got to work, plating two runs in the bottom half of the second. Salkind got things going with a leadoff single before an Andrew Manni double sent the junior racing home, making it a 1-0 game. With two outs and Manni still at second, George Mulcahey got things going again with a single to left center that scored the first-year.
- Webster picked up its first hit of the game in the third inning with a one-out single from Strohm. The Gorloks followed that with a walk and a sacrifice bunt, which put two runners in scoring position, but Prue got out of the inning with the next batter who lined out to first.
- Wheaton added another run in the bottom of the third, extending its lead back to two, with an RBI double to center from Jared Sharkey that scored Raposo. Raposo reached moments earlier with a two-out single to left center.
- The Gorloks found some success in the top of the fourth, mustering up three hits while plating a run on a bases-loaded fielders choice bunt. That would be all that they could do in the inning leaving the bases loaded courtesy of back-to-back Prue strikeouts.
- Strohm pulled Webster within a run in the seventh, leading off the inning with a single to left, before moving around the bases on a Lyon throwing error, and two ground outs.
- Wheaton extended its lead to three runs in the eighth. The inning began with a single through the left side by Raposo, who moved to second moments later on a Sharkey groundout. The Gorloks, looking for a double-play, intentionally walked Salkind, before unintentionally hitting Manni with the next pitch. With the bases loaded, Boyd ripped the ball through the right side of the infield allowing Raposo and Salkind to score while moving Manni to third.
- Patrick Arter came in to close out the game in the ninth, giving up just two hits on his way to his second save of the season.
- Hits: Wheaton 10 / Webster 9
- Errors: Wheaton 1 / Webster 0
- RBIs: Wheaton 5 / Webster 2
- Left on Base: Wheaton 7 / Webster 10
- Walks: Wheaton 3 / Webster 1
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 7 / Webster 7
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action on Saturday, March 9 at 1:45 p.m. against William Paterson (Lake Myrtle Field #8) in game two of the RussMatt Invitational.