GAME ONE: Wheaton 10 - William Paterson 11
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - William Paterson (3-0)
LOCATION: Auburndale, Fla. (Lake Myrtle #8)
- The Wheaton College baseball team suffered its first loss the season Saturday afternoon, falling 11-10 to the William Paterson (NJ) Pioneers at the RussMatt Invitational.
- The Lyons were led by junior Nick Raposo who ended the game with a 4-for-5 performance, which included three runs scored and two RBI's. Senior Jared Sharkey also had a strong showing from the plate, finishing the game 3-for-4 with a run scored, two RBI, and a walk.
- John Mikosz got the start for Wheaton before being replaced by Tommy Larason, Zach Pipa, and Stephen Quigley with Pipa picking up the loss.
- The Pioneers were led by Steven DiGirolamo (2-for-4) and Steve Yelin (3-for-5), while Jordan Manne earned his first win of the season for William Paterson after three innings work.
- Wheaton, who were the visitors, got things going with a two-run opening inning, which started with a double to left from Sharkey that plated Patrick Santorella. Raposo came around to score the second run of the inning on an RBI groundout from Bryant Salkind.
- William Paterson countered in the bottom half of the inning with a single run that was scored on an RBI groundout of its own.
- The Pioneers kept the pressure on, scoring three more runs in the bottom of the second inning, taking a 4-2 advantage.
- Three base hits and a pair of doubles plated four Wheaton runs during the top of the third, and the Lyons used two hits and an error to add two more in the fourth for an 8-4 edge.
- William Paterson got one run back during the home half of the fourth, curring the deficit to three runs.
- Wheaton earned that run back in the top of the fifth with Andrew Manni coming around to score on a fielding error by the Pioneer shortstop. Manni reached on a leadoff single up the middle.
- The Pioneers rallied over the next three innings, plating six runs, en route to an 11-9 advantage.
- Wheaton managed to earn a run back in the top of the eighth on an RBI sacrifice fly from Conor Gammond that scored Raposo, but that would be as close as the Lyons would get.
- Hits: Wheaton 16 / WP 12
- Errors: Wheaton 1 / WP 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 9 / WP 10
- Left on Base: Wheaton 10 / WP 8
- Walks: Wheaton 2 / WP 3
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 8 / WP 5
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action on Sunday, March 10 at 9 a.m. against UMass.-Boston (Lake Myrtle Field #1) in game three of the RussMatt Invitational.