GAME ONE: Wheaton 10 - Pitt.-Greensburg 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - PG (1-9)
LOCATION: Auburndale, Fla. (Lake Myrtle Main)
- The No. 25 Wheaton College baseball team collected its first shutout of the season Wednesday morning, defeating Pitt.-Greensburg 10-0 in game five of the RussMatt Invitational. The Lyons, who just broke into the NCBWA/D3baseball top-25, move to 5-1 on the season on the season and 4-1 at the RussMatt Invite.
- On top of posting a season-high 18 hits in the game, the Lyons also received stellar pitching from sophomore righty John Mikosz who completed six innings, giving up just one hit, while striking out seven of the 23 batters he faced, en route to the first win of his career. Zach Pipa and Stephen Quigley closed out the contest, both surrendering just one hit while striking out four combined.
- senior Jared Sharkey and first-year Andrew Manni each finished the contest 3-for-4 from the plate with two RBI and a walk. Junior Nick Raposo went 3-for-5 and Bryant Salkind finished 2-for-4.
- After sitting down in order in the top of the first, Wheaton got things going in the second inning with Willy Boyd picking up an RBI with a single to right center that plated Sharkey. Sharkey led off the inning with a single through the right side, before moving to second and third on back-to-back walks.
- The fourth inning started off with a double down the right-field line by Manni, who then made his way to third on a Boyd groundout to first. The first-year third baseman then came around to score on a single to left from Quinn Krais.
- Wheaton used four hits in the fifth to push its lead to 4-0 with Raposo and Sharkey both coming home.
- A four-run sixth inning handed the Lyons a commanding 8-0 lead. The inning started with a single by Krais, which was followed by a walk to Conor Gammond. A fielding error by the Bobcats loaded the bases, setting up Sharkey for a two-RBI double down the left line. With one out and runners at second and third, Manni singled to left, giving Raposo time to sprint home. Patrick Santorella plated the final run of the inning with an RBI single of his own.
- Two more runs came in for the Lyons in the seventh inning, starting with a bases-loaded single to first by Salkind that scored Gammond. Raposo came around later in the inning on a Manni fielder's choice to second.
- Hits: Wheaton 18 / PG 3
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / PG 1
- RBIs: Wheaton 10 / PG 0
- Left on Base: Wheaton 15 / PG 7
- Walks: Wheaton 6 / PG 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 9 / PG 11
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action on Thursday, March 14 at 10 a.m. against St. Scholastica (Lake Myrtle Field #5) in game six of the RussMatt Invitational.