GAME ONE: Wheaton 3 - St. Scholastica 4
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) - CSS (2-3)
LOCATION: Auburndale, Fla. (Lake Myrtle #5)
- The No. 25 Wheaton College baseball team dropped a ninth-inning heartbreaker to the College of St. Scholastica Thursday morning in game six of the RussMatt Invitational. The Saints, who made an appearance in the 2017 NCAA Midwest Regional, came from behind to score two runs in the bottom of the ninth to win the contest.
- Wheaton received 1-for-3 performances from Zach Demattio and Willy Boyd, while junior Nick Raposo concluded the game 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Paul Prue got the start for the Lyons, pitching six innings, giving up two runs on four hits, while striking out seven. Patrick Arter, who came in to close out the ninth, picked up the loss after surrendering the game-winning runs.
- After two scoreless innings, which didn't produce a hit, the Lyons got on the scoreboard first, plating two runs in the top of the third on two hits. The inning started off with a walk to Boyd, who advanced to third on a single through the left side by Brody Ashley. The senior second baseman came home moments later on a wild pitch. A single up the middle from Raposo allowed Ashley to score.
- Both pitchers continued to match each other throughout the next six and a half innings, surrendering just two combined hits.
- Wheaton struck again in the seventh, this time plating a single run on a suicide squeeze. With Boyd on third, Ashley laid down a perfect bunt down the right-field line that allowed the senior to once again come home.
- Saint Scholastica found a way to earn two back in the bottom half of the seventh with help from some Wheaton fielding miscues.
- Wheaton had a chance to extend its lead in the top of the ninth with Demattio and Quinn Krais both reaching, but the Saints found a way to get themselves out of the jam.
- With the game on the line, the Saints put two runners on with a single to right and left field. Both runners advanced later in the inning on wild pitches. With runners at second and third, a hard hit ball to first earned Wheaton the second out of the inning but also plated the game-tying run. With a batter at the plate, the winning run crossed home on a wild pitch.
- Hits: Wheaton 8 / CSS 6
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / CSS 0
- RBIs: Wheaton 2 / CSS 0
- Left on Base: Wheaton 7 / CSS 3
- Walks: Wheaton 4 / CSS 0
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 6 / CSS 9
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action on Friday, March 15 at 4:30 p.m. against Illinois Wesleyan (Lake Myrtle Field #6) in game seven of the RussMatt Invitational.