GAME ONE: Wheaton 2 - Illinois Wesleyan 4
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) - UIW (7-3)
LOCATION: Auburndale, Fla. (Lake Myrtle #6)
- The No. 25 Wheaton College baseball team fell to Illinois Wesleyan 4-2 Friday evening in game seven of the RussMatt Invitational.
- The Lyons got a strong pitching performance out of Joe Bongiovanni who got the start. The senior, who picks up his first loss of the season, pitched 6.1 innings, giving up four runs on seven hits while striking out four and walking just one.
- Wheaton received hits from Conor Gammond, Nick Raposo, Jared Sharkey, Andrew Manni, and Zach Demattio.
- The Titans took the lead in the bottom of the second, plating three runs on two hits and two Wheaton errors.
- The Lyons earned two runs back in the top of the sixth with Raposo coming around to score on a Sharkey triple to deep center. With two outs, Manni plated Sharkey on a single to third.
- Illinois Wesley found a way to score again, this time in the seventh, taking a 4-2 lead, which would stick.
- Hits: Wheaton 5 / UIW 7
- Errors: Wheaton 3 / UIW 1
- RBIs: Wheaton 2 / UIW 3
- Left on Base: Wheaton 5 / UIW 9
- Walks: Wheaton 1 / UIW 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 6 / UIW 7
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action on Saturday, March 16 for their final two games of the RussMatt Invitational. Wheaton will take on Keystone (1:15 p.m.) followed by Ripon (4:45 p.m.) on Lake Myrtle Field #8.