GAME ONE: Wheaton 6 - UMass.-Dartmouth 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (8-3, 0-0 NEWMAC) - UMD (5-7, 0-0 LEC)
LOCATION: Dartmouth, Mass. (UMD Baseball Field)
- The Wheaton College baseball team returned to the field Thursday afternoon for a non-conference contest at UMass.-Dartmouth with the Lyons defeating their hosts 6-3.
- Nick Raposo earned three of Wheaton's six hits with a 3-for-5 performance from the plate.
- John Mikosz pitched five shutout innings, giving up just two hits while striking out five for his second win of the season. Andrew Manni came in to close out the ninth inning, earning his first save of the season.
- Wheaton put two on the scoreboard in the third, scoring on a bases-loaded double play before sending the final run home on a ground ball error.
- Manni plated Raposo in the sixth, beating out a near double play. The Lyons tacked on another run with a bunt single from Willy Boyd that scored Jared Sharkey.
- The Corsairs earned two runs back in the bottom half of the sixth, making it a 4-2 contest.
- The Lyons restored its lead back to four runs in the seventh on an RBI rocket from Sharkey that was followed by an RBI hit from Bryant Salkind.
- UMD tried to come from behind in the ninth, plating a single run but would get nothing more.
- Hits: Wheaton 6 / UMD 5
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / UMD 2
- RBIs: Wheaton 4 / UMD 1
- Left on Base: Wheaton 8 / UMD 6
- Walks: Wheaton 7 / UMD 3
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 3 / UMD 8
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to home for the first time this season with a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) opener against the Bears of the Coast Guard Academy on Saturday, March 23rd. The teams are set to play a doubleheader with game one set for 12 p.m.