Mar 26, 2019
GAME ONE: Wheaton 9 - Springfield 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (11-3, 3-0 NEWMAC) - Springfield (6-7, 2-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Sidell Stadium)
- The Wheaton College baseball team returned New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Tuesday afternoon, defeating the Pride of Springfield College 9-2 at Sidell Stadium.
- The Lyons got a 3-for-5 performance from junior Nick Raposo, while first-years Jacob Studley and Andrew Spirito both finished 2-for-4.
- Joe Bongiovanni earned his second win of the season after six innings of work, giving up just two runs on five hits while striking out one and walking two. First-years Zach Clesas, Dominic Cunha, and Andrew Manni all closed out the contest, pitching an inning apiece.
- Springfield took an early 1-0 lead when Jack Simonetty doubled to right field, knocking in Jake Gleason.
- Wheaton countered in the bottom of the third with an RBI single to center from Raposo that brought in Quinn Krais.
- The Lyons took the lead in the fourth on an RBI single from Stephen Quigley. Manni helped Wheaton tack on another run in the fifth with a single down the right field line that drove in Raposo.
- Krais and Studley both picked up RBI's in the sixth, helping Wheaton take a 5-1 lead.
- The Pride earned a run back in the seventh, but Wheaton responded in the eighth with four runs, starting with a two-RBI single to left field from senior Jared Sharkey. Willy Boyd followed later in the inning with a two-RBI single of his own that plated Sharkey and Raposo.
- Hits: Wheaton 15 / Springfield 8
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / Springfield 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 9 / Springfield 2
- Left on Base: Wheaton 11 / Springfield 7
- Walks: Wheaton 3 / Springfield 1
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 4 / Springfield 9