Posted: Mar 28, 2019
GAME ONE: Wheaton 4 - Trinity (Conn.) 5
RECORDS: Wheaton (11-4, 3-0 NEWMAC) - Trinity (9-2)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Sidell Stadium)
- A three-run ninth inning pushed the visiting Bantams of Trinity (Conn.) past the Wheaton College baseball team Thursday evening at Sidell Stadium.
- Wheaton managed just six hits in the game while leaving six runners stranded.
- Sophomore John Mikosz got the start for Wheaton, completing six innings, giving up just two runs on two hits, while striking out five. First-year Andrew Manni suffered the loss after giving up all three runs in the ninth.
- After four scoreless innings that saw Mikosz and Cameron Crowley give up one hit combined, the Bantams broke through with a single run in the top of the fifth.
- Wheaton countered in their half of the inning with a two-run home run over the fence in left field by George Mulcahey. The homer, which picked up Willy Boyd, is the first of Mulcahey's career.
- A single to right center from Bryant Salkind in the bottom of the sixth scored Jared Sharkey. The ball which was hit perfectly in the gap in right-center sent Sharkey in from first with Salkind right behind him. Salkind, who made his way home, was eventually ruled to be out for not stepping on second.
- The Bantams entered the ninth inning trailing 3-2 after plating a single run in the seventh. With two outs and two baserunners, Trinity recaptured the lead on a two-RBI double to center that scored Robbie Cronin and Tyler Buckley. Matt Koperniak knocked in the final run of the game with a single up the middle.
- Wheaton got a run back with its first batter in the bottom of the ninth with first-year Zach Demattio hammering the ball out of the park over the fence in left field. The home run is the first of Demattio's career.
- Hits: Wheaton 6 / Trinity 7
- Errors: Wheaton 1 / Trinity 1
- RBIs: Wheaton 4 / Trinity 5
- Left on Base: Wheaton 6 / Trinity 6
- Walks: Wheaton 6 / Trinity 3
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 4 / Trinity 8