GAME ONE: No. 25 Wheaton 13 - Springfield 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (15-4, 5-0 NEWMAC) - Springfield (9-9, 3-3 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Springfield, Mass. (Archie Allen Field)
- The Wheaton College baseball team completed its sweep of the Springfield Pride Tuesday afternoon with a 13-2 road win.
- Nick Raposo ended the contest 4-for-5, knocking in three runs while coming around to score once. Bryant Salkind went 3-for-3 from the plate with a walk and an RBI. Andrew Manni finished 2-for-2 with a pair of walks.
- John Mikosz got the start, pitching six complete innings, giving up just one run on four hits, while striking out seven.
- A bases-loaded walk to Manni scored Wheaton's first run of the game in the top of first. The walk brought in first-year Jacob Studley who reached on an error by the second baseman.
- The Pride tied the contest in the second with an RBI single to center from Ryan Smith.
- Wheaton recaptured the lead in the top of the third, plating two runs with the first coming around on a single up the middle from Salkind that drove in Jared Sharkey. Salkind scored later in the inning courtesy of a sacrifice bunt from Willy Boyd.
- The Lyons took an 8-1 lead in the fifth, scoring five runs on four hits and a Pride error. A bunt single from George Mulcahey scored Salkind who led off the inning with a single up the middle. With the bases loaded, the Lyons plated their next run on a sac fly to right field from Stephen Quigley. Brody Ashley drove in two runs with a double to left center, before a sac fly from Raposo brought in the final run of the inning.
- Three more runs came across in the top of the seventh, putting the Lyons ahead 11-1. The Pride earned a run back in the bottom half of the inning courtesy of a bases-loaded walk to Eduardo Martinez.
- Wheaton finished scoring in the eighth, starting with a triple down the right-field line from Conor Gammond. Gammond's triple brought in Josh Trybuch who led off the inning with a walk. Raposo picked up his final RBI with a single up the middle that plated Gammond.
- Hits: Wheaton 12 / Springfield 5
- Errors: Wheaton 1 / Springfield 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 11 / Springfield 2
- Left on Base: Wheaton 12 / Springfield 7
- Walks: Wheaton 7 / Springfield 5
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 8 / Springfield 7
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Thursday, April 4 at Salve Regina for a non-conference contest scheduled for 3:30 p.m.