Posted: Apr 09, 2019
GAME TWO: No. 20 Wheaton 11 - WPI 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (18-6, 9-1 NEWMAC) - WPI (17-10, 3-5 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Sidell Stadium)
- The Wheaton College baseball team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Tuesday afternoon for a single game against the Engineers of WPI, with the Lyons earning an 11-1 victory.
- Wheaton sophomore John Mikosz got the start for the Lyons, picking up his fourth win of the season after completing seven innings, giving up the Engineers lone run, while giving up just three hits and striking out a career-high 10.
- Brody Ashley finished the game 1-for-2 with two walks for Wheaton, while Willy Boyd and Nick Raposo went 1-for-3 with a walk. George Mulcahey finished 2-for-3 with an RBI and three runs scored.
- WPI was led by a 2-for-4 performance from Ryan Tropeano and a 1-for-2 day from Matt Howard who also reached on two walks. Alexander Mondro picked up his third loss of the season after giving up six runs on six hits in just four innings of work.
- After being retired in order in the first inning, the Engineers broke through in the top of the second with their lone run of the game coming on a solo home run from Howard.
- Wheaton countered in the bottom half of the second, with Mulcahey stealing home. The sophomore reached originally on a fielder's choice. Boyd came around to score moments later, giving the Lyons a 2-1 lead, on a single up the middle from Stephen Quigley.
- A sloppy fourth inning allowed Wheaton to post four more runs with Mulchahey and Boyd both scoring on passed balls before a double to center from Raposo plated Ashley and Jacob Studley.
- The Lyons took a 7-1 lead in the sixth before posting four more runs in the seventh courtesy of back-to-back home runs from Andrew Manni and Mulcahey. Manni's home run picked up Raposo and Jared Sharkey who led off the inning with a walk and a single through the left side. The home run is the first of Manni's career and the second of the season for Mulcahey.
- Hits: Wheaton 10 / WPI 5
- Errors: Wheaton 0 / WPI 2
- RBIs: Wheaton 7 / WPI 1
- Left on Base: Wheaton 6 / WPI 5
- Walks: Wheaton 6 / WPI 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 4 / WPI 12