GAME ONE: No. 20 Wheaton 15 - Emerson 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (20-6, 10-1 NEWMAC) - Emerson (5-21, 1-10 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Danvers, Mass. (Pete Frates Diamond)
- The Wheaton College baseball team traveled to Emerson College for game one of its three-game New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) series with the Lyons walking away with a 15-1 victory.
- First-year Griffin Young picked up his fifth win of the season after finishing seven innings, giving up just one run on four hits, while striking out five and walking three.
- Junior Nick Raposo and Jacob Studley finished the contest 3-for-5 from the plate which included a home run. Brody Ashley and Andrew Manni each finished 2-for-3 with two runs scored.
- The game started with a single from Ashley, which was followed by a home run to left field from Studley. Raposo followed with a home run of his own, putting Wheaton on top 3-0. Manni came around to score later in the inning on a wild pitch.
- Wheaton tacked on seven more runs in the second behind RBI singles from Raposo, George Mulcahey, and Willy Boyd, as well as a triple from Manni.
- Emerson managed to plate a single run in the bottom of the fourth with help from a Wheaton error.
- Andrew Spirito made it 12-1 with a sacrifice fly that brought in Jared Sharkey who led off the inning with a single up the middle.
- A triple to right from Studley got the scoring going in the seventh with Quinn Krais coming around to score. A wild pitch brought in the second run, while a bases-loaded walk ended the scoring.
- Hits: Wheaton 17 / Emerson 4
- Errors: Wheaton 1 / Emerson 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 13 / Emerson 1
- Left on Base: Wheaton 11 / Emerson 4
- Walks: Wheaton 4 / Emerson 3
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 4 / Emerson 9
UP NEXT: Wheaton and Emerson return to action Saturday, April 13 for the rest of their NEWMAC series at Sidell Stadium with the first game set for 1 p.m. due to impending morning rain. VIDEO / LIVE STATS