Apr 13, 2019
GAME ONE: No. 20 Wheaton 14 - Emerson 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (21-6, 11-1 NEWMAC) - Emerson (5-22, 1-11 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Sidell Stadium)
- The Wheaton College baseball team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Saturday afternoon for game two of its three game series against the Emerson Lions with the host team coming out on top 14-3.
- Paul Prue collected his fourth win of the season after completing five innings which saw the sophomore give up just two runs on seven hits while striking out six.
- First-year Jacob Studley, senior Jared Sharkey, and junior Bryant Salkind each finished 3-for-4 from the plate with Sharkey leading the bunch with three RBI.
- The Lions got a 2-for-3 performance from Louie Davolio with a walk. Sam Knox picked up his fifth loss of the season after giving up eight runs on nine hits.
- Studley got the scoring started with his second home run of the season in the top of the first. After Nick Raposo reached on an Emerson error, Sharkey knocked him in with a double to right center. Leading 2-0, Wheaton scored on a pass ball, before plating two more runs on a double down the left field line from George Mulcahey.
- After three scoreless innings, Wheaton put together a monster fifth inning, plating nine runs on seven hits and two Emerson errors. The inning started with a single to left from Sharkey, who advanced to second on a groundout. The senior stole third before taking home on an error at third. A Stephen Quigley single through the left side brought in two runs before two more came home on wild pitches. Raposo picked an RBI with a single to left field, which was followed by a two-run home run from Sharkey and a solo home run from Salkind.
- Emerson got on the board in the top of the sixth starting with an error that allowed Ryan McCahan to come home before a groundout scored Davolio
- Davolio scored again, this time in the eighth, on a Wheaton throwing error.
- Hits: Wheaton 14 / Emerson 9
- Errors: Wheaton 4 / Emerson 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 10 / Emerson 0
- Left on Base: Wheaton 7 / Emerson 9
- Walks: Wheaton 5 / Emerson 3
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 4 / Emerson 10