Apr 14, 2019
GAME ONE: No. 20 Wheaton 10 - Emerson 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (22-6, 12-1 NEWMAC) - Emerson (5-23, 1-12 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Sidell Stadium)
- The Wheaton College baseball team completed its New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) sweep of Emerson College Sunday afternoon with a 10-3 victory at Sidell Stadium.
- Sophomore John Mikosz got the start for the Lyons, going 4.1 innings, which saw him give up just two runs on five hits. First-year Andrew Manni came in in relief, completing 1.2 innings en route to his second win of the season.
- First-year Zach Demattio finished a perfect 3-for-3 from the plate with two RBI and a run scored, while Manni ended the contest 2-for-3 with three runs scored and a walk.
- Jack Fox collected the loss for Emerson after 6.1 innings, which saw him give up eight of Wheaton's 10 runs. CJ Beattie had the best plate performance for the Lions, finishing 3-for-4.
- The first three innings saw the two sides combine for just three hits before the Lyons broke through in the fourth. Wheaton plated its first two runs of the contest on a double down the left field line from George Mulcahey that knocked in Bryant Salkind and Manni who started the inning with back-to-back singles. Stephen Qugley knocked in the final run of the inning wtih a single through the right side that plated Mulcahey from second.
- Emerson earned two runs back in the top of the fifth with an RBI double from Ethan Young which was followed by Calvin Jacey coming around to score on a Wheaton fielding error.
- The Lyons responded in the home half of the inning with three runs coming around on three hits. Jacob Studley was the first to come home, scoring on a wild pitch after reaching on a single up the middle. Demattio knocked in the other two runs with a two-out double to center.
- Wheaton pushed four more runs across the plate in the seventh. After plating their first run on a passed ball, Mulcahey hit the ball over the fence in left, which picked up Demattio and Manni.
- Emerson scored the final run of the contest in the top of the ninth with an RBI single from Rory Tettemer.
- Hits: Wheaton 13 / Emerson 9
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / Emerson 1
- RBIs: Wheaton 8 / Emerson 3
- Left on Base: Wheaton 5 / Emerson 9
- Walks: Wheaton 2 / Emerson 1
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 4 / Emerson 9