Posted: Apr 17, 2019
GAME ONE: No. 17 Wheaton 14 - Amherst 7
RECORDS: Wheaton (24-6) - Amherst (14-10)
LOCATION: Amherst, Mass. (Memorial Field)
- The Wheaton College baseball team returned to action Wednesday afternoon, earning a 14-7 non-conference win over Amherst College.
- Senior Joe Bongiovanni collected his fourth win of the season for the Lyons, going seven complete innings, giving up six runs on seven hits, while striking out one.
- Junior Nick Raposo finished the contest 3-for-4 from the plate with a walk and run scored, while George Mulcahey finished 4-for-5 with a walk, one RBI and three runs scored. Jacob Studley and Brody Ashley each finished 3-for-5.
- Ashley came around to score the first run of the game on an RBI groundout from Raposo. The Lyons lead was short-lived with Amherst responding with two runs of its own in the bottom half of the first.
- The Lyons recaptured the lead in the second inning on a double down the left field line from Stephen Quigley that scored Willy Boyd and Mulcahey. Wheaton plated three more runs moments later on a home run from Studley. The home run is the fourth of the season for the first year.
- Ashley picked up two RBI's of his own in the third with a two-out, bases-loaded single to left field.
- Amherst earned two runs back in the bottom of the third, making it an 8-4 contest.
- The fourth inning saw five more runs come across for the Lyons, starting with Jared Sharkey's team-leading 10th home run of the season. The home run picked up Raposo who led off the inning with a single to left. A wild pitch plated Wheaton's next run of the inning, followed by a bases-loaded walk before a sacrifice fly from Studley that scored Boyd.
- Mulcahey knocked in Wheaton's final run of the game in the fifth with a double to left center that plated Bryant Salkind.
- Amherst scored a single run in the fifth, before adding another run in the seventh and eighth.
- Hits: Wheaton 19 / Amherst 8
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / Amherst 2
- RBIs: Wheaton 12 / Amherst 5
- Left on Base: Wheaton 12 / Amherst 6
- Walks: Wheaton 7 / Amherst 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 8 / Amherst 3