Posted: Apr 23, 2019
GAME ONE: No. 11 Wheaton 2 - Wesleyan 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (25-7, 14-1 NEWMAC) - Wesleyan (12-13)
LOCATION: Middletown, Conn. (Dresser Diamond)
- The Wheaton College baseball team hit the road for a non-conference contest at Wesleyan that saw the Lyons fall 3-2.
- The Lyons used a different pitcher in each inning with Zach Pipa being credited with the loss after giving up all three of the Cardinals runs.
- Wheaton got a 3-for-4 performance from Brody Ashley who came around to score the Lyons first run of the contest. The sophomore led off the game with a single to left, before stealing second and coming around to score on a Jacob Studley single to right field.
- An Ashely fielder's choice in the second allowed George Mulcahey to score. Mulcahey started the inning with a single before Willy Boyd was hit by a pitch, allowing Mulcahey to move to second. The pair moved up a base on a Stephen Quigley sacrifice bunt.
- Wesleyan countered in the bottom of the fifth starting with a bases-loaded single that plated a run, before a double to left center sent in two more Cardinals.
- Wheaton managed just two hits in the final four innings, stranding five different bases runners.
- Hits: Wheaton 7 / Wesleyan 7
- Errors: Wheaton 0 / Wesleyan 1
- RBIs: Wheaton 2 / Wesleyan 3
- Left on Base: Wheaton 13 / Wesleyan 9
- Walks: Wheaton 5 / Wesleyan 7
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 2 / Wesleyan 5