Apr 25, 2019
GAME ONE: No. 11 Wheaton 16 - Bridgewater State 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (26-7, 14-1 NEWMAC) - BSU (12-17)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Sidell Stadium)
- The Wheaton College baseball team returned to action Thursday afternoon for a non-conference contest against the Bears of Bridgewater State with the Lyons walking away with a convincing 16-2 victory.
- Sophomore Paul Prue got the start for the Lyons, pitching the first three innings of the contest, striking out a team-high five batters. Senior Tommy Larason, who came in in the fourth, picked up the win.
- Zach Demattio finished the contest 2-for-2 which included an in-the-park home run, while Willy Boyd and Jacob Studley went 2-for-3.
- Bear starter Chris Hanna was credited with the loss after surrendering four runs on two hits after just one inning. Dominic Precopio led BSU from the plate with a 2-for-3 performance.
- Wheaton took a 4-0 lead in the opening frame, with Brody Ashley and Studley both coming around to score on a two-out double from Bryant Salkind after reaching on back-to-back walks. Salkind came around to score on the next at-bat courtesy of an in-the-park home run from Demattio.
- RBI singles from Studley and junior Nick Raposo gave Wheaton a 6-0 advantage after the first two innings.
- Bridgewater State earned its first run in the top of the third with David Skiendiel coming around to score on a Lewis Robinson single to right.
- The Bears final run of the game came around on a sacrifice fly to left from Jonathan Livolsi that gave Liam Bell time to come home.
- Wheaton earned both runs and some back in the home half of the fifth, starting with a two-run home run from George Mulcahey. Studley picked up an RBI later in the inning with a two-out single, which was followed by a three-run home run from Raposo.
- The Lyons went ahead 15-2 in the sixth, before tacking on the final run of the contest in the eighth.
- Hits: Wheaton 15 / BSU 7
- Errors: Wheaton 3 / BSU 1
- RBIs: Wheaton 1 / BSU 2
- Left on Base: Wheaton 8 / BSU 10
- Walks: Wheaton 6 / BSU 3
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 8 / BSU 10