Northborough, Mass. – In a neutral site contest, Junior Gavin Reily picked up the win while Sophomore Zach DeMattio drove in 3 runs to help the Wheaton Men's Baseball team pick up a 9-4 victory over Fitchburg St.
Score: Wheaton 9 - Fitchburg St. 4
Location: Northborough, Mass./New England Baseball Complex
Records: Wheaton 1-0 - Fitchburg St. 0-2
How It Happened:
- The Lyons got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the first. Senior Bryant Salkind singled to left field bringing in fellow classmate Nick Raposo. DeMattio was the next batter up who double to left-center bringing in 2 runs to give the Lyons a 3-0 lead after the first inning.
- In the top of the second inning, after two singles from the Falcons, Joshua Macomber hit a home run evening the score at 3-3.
- The Lyons regained the lead with a strong fifth inning. Junior Patrick Santorella hit a double to left-center scoring DeMattio. Stephen Quigley then laid down a sacrifice bunt bringing home first-year Nick Croteau. Santorella later scored on a throwing error to give the Lyons a 6-3 lead after the fifth inning.
- Sophomore Jacob Studley scored after DeMattio grounded out to the shortstop. Croteau hit a sac fly to add another run in the bottom of the sixth.
- Raposo gave the Lyons an insurance run in the bottom of the seventh with a hard-hit infield single helping lead the Lyons to a 9-4 victory over the Falcons.
By The Numbers:
- DeMattio led the Lyons going 1 for 3 with three runs batted in and one run scored.
- Raposo went 3 for 4 with one RBI and one run scored.
- Reily picked up the win to go 1-0 giving up 3 earned runs while striking out 8 in six innings of work.
- Salkind went 2 for 5 while scoring two runs and bringing home a run.
Wheaton will head down south for the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational opening with a contest against #21 Aurora on Friday, March 6 at 6:30 p.m.