Winter Haven, Fla.– In baseball's first game of the RussMatt Invitational, sophomore Andrew Manni pitched a strong 6.1 innings while Bryant Salkind had another strong performance with 4 hits, 2 runs, and 3 RBIs
Score: Wheaton 11 - Aurora 2
Location: Winter Haven, Fla./Chain of Lakes
Records: Wheaton 2-0 - Aurora 6-2
How It Happened:
- The bottom of the first inning set the tone for the Lyons as Manni struck out two batters while senior catcher Nick Raposo threw out Jett Wedekind at second keeping the Spartans hesitant on the base path.
- The Lyons got on the board in the top of the fourth as Raposo led off with a walk and was brought home on a Salkind double to right-center. The bottom of the order added three runs with Nick Croteau and Stephen Quigley both hitting RBI singles and junior George Mulcahey brought in another run on a double down the left-field line.
- After Manni allowed to runners on base to start the bottom of the 4th inning, he settled in allowing just one run making it 4-1 in favor of the Lyons.
- In the top of 7th, the Lyons added 2 runs on a Jacob Studley RBI single and a triple from Salkind that brought home, Raposo and Studley.
- Senior Zach Pipa came in relief for Manni helping the Lyons get out of a jam only giving up a sacrifice fly. The Lyons took a 7-2 lead going into the 8th inning.
- In the top of the 8th Wheaton added 2 insurance runs as Brody Ashley had an RBI single and Quigley scored on a wild pitch.
- Junior Mark D'Augelli came in as a pinch hitter in the 9th registering a double to left field bringing home Studley. Croteau later hit a sacrifice fly to center field to bring home the final run for the Lyons helping them to an 11-2 victory.
By The Numbers:
- Salkind led the Lyons on offense and was just a home run short of the cycle registering 4 hits, 3 RBIs, 2 runs.
- Croteau had a strong game with 2 hits, 1 walk, 2 RBIs, and 2 runs.
- Manni pitched a strong 6.1 innings giving up 2 earned runs while striking out 8.
- Raposo and Studley both added 2 runs apiece for the Lyons.
Wheaton will play it's second game of the RussMatt Invitational tomorrow, Saturday, March 7 at 1:30 p.m. against Concordia Chicago