Auburndale, Fla.– The Lyons fell to Concordia Chicago in walk-off fashion, 5-4 despite a strong performance from junior Josh Roberge in his first collegiate start.
Score: Wheaton 4 - Concordia Chicago 5
Location: Auburndale Fla./Lake Myrtle Sports Complex Field 7
Records: Wheaton 2-1 - Concordia Chicago 1-2
How It Happened:
- After the Lyons failed to get on the board in the first inning, Roberge has a strong start to the game striking out two of the three batters.
- The Cougars of Concordia Chicago got on the board in the bottom of the 2nd inning behind a home run to left field from Kevin Garcia.
- Wheaton responded in the top of the 3rd inning tieing the game at 1-1. After singles from George Mulcahey and Stephen Quigley, Brody Ashley singled through the left side bringing in Mulcahey.
- After the Cougars loaded the bases in the bottom of the 3rd, Roberge got the Cougar's clean up hitter Brody Mariotti to pop out to second, ending the inning.
- In the top of the 4th inning, Jacob Studley led off with a double down the third base line. After Bryant Salkind singled to center, Zach DeMattio singled bringing home Studley. The Lyons were not done yet, after a single from Nick Croteau, Mulcahey delivered an RBI single to left scoring Salkind giving Wheaton a 3-1 lead.
- After walks from Croteau and Quigley in the 6th inning, Ashley drove in his second run of the game on a single down the left-field line scoring Croteau extending the Lyons lead to 4-1.
- Zach Clesas came in for Roberge and got out of the 7th inning cleanly but in the bottom of the 8th the Lyons gave up 3 runs to even the score at 4-4 on three hits and an error.
- The Lyons failed to score in the top of the 9th inning and after Patrick Arter gave up two singles to start the inning the Cougars scored on an error by the pitcher trying to catch Mate Calle stealing third, resulting in a 5-4 walk-off win for the Cougars.
By The Numbers:
- Roberge pitched 6 strong innings, throwing 101 pitches, striking out 9, allowing 3 hits, and giving up 1 earned run.
- Ashley led the Lyons offensively with 2 hits and 2 RBIs.
- The Lyons recorded 11 hits while leaving 11 stranded on the base paths.
- Mulcahey went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Salkind had another strong performance going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
Wheaton plays again tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. back at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex against Husson.