Auburndale, Fla.– The Lyons won 7-2 behind a great pitching performance from junior Paul Prue in a scoreless 8 innings of work.
Score: Wheaton 7 - Penn St.-Abington 2
Location: Auburndale Fla./Lake Myrtle Field 8
Records: Wheaton (4-1) - Penn St.-Abington (4-5)
How It Happened:
- Prue had some help from sophomore Jacob Studley in the bottom of the first inning as he made an impressive catch against the wall in right field.
- DH Mark D'Augelli started the bottom of the 2nd inning with a double down the right-field line. George Mulcahey reached safely on a fielder's choice as he laid down a bunt. D'Augelli was brought home when Stephen Quigley successfully executed the safety squeeze giving the Lyons the 1-0 lead.
- The Lyons added two runs in the 3rd inning extending their lead to 3-0. Nick Raposo singled and advanced to third after to groundouts. D'Auglelli had an RBI single and was later brought home on an RBI double from Mulcahey.
- In the bottom of the 6th inning after Quigley reached on an error, Raposo hit an RBI single to make it 4-0 in favor of the Lyons.
- Quinn Krais led off the bottom of the 8th with a triple and was brought home on an RBI single from Brody Ashley. Ashley later scored on a passed ball to make it 6-0. Raposo then scored on a wild pitch to give the Lyons a 7-0 lead heading into the 9th.
- Penn St.-Abington scored 2 runs in an inning where Wheaton allowed 2 hits and had 2 errors. The Lyons earned their 4th victory of the season 7-2.
By The Numbers:
- Prue pitched a scoreless 8 innings of work registering 6 strikeouts, allowing only 2 hits.
- D'Augelli went 2-for-5 with an RBI and 2 runs scored.
- Raposo went a perfect 4-for-4 registering all singles with, 1 walk, 2 runs, and 1 RBI.
- Ashley went 4-for-5 with 1 RBI and a run scored.
Wheaton has a day off tomorrow and then returns to action on Wednesday, March 11th against Cornell College at 2:00 p.m. in the RussMatt Invitational