Auburndale, Fla.– Andrew Manni pitched 7 scoreless innings while recording 6 strikeouts and giving up 5 hits helping the Lyons earn a 6-1 victory over Washington & Jefferson.
Score: Wheaton 6 - Washington & Jefferson 1
Location: Auburndale Fla./Lake Myrtle Field 4
Records: Wheaton (6-1) - Washington & Jefferson (3-5)
How It Happened:
- The Lyons came out firing in the top of the first inning. After a walk from Brody Ashley, Nick Raposo singled. With two men on Jacob Studley hit a double to right-center scoring Ashley and Raposo giving the Lyons a 2-0 lead.
- After giving up a single in the first, Manni got some help from George Mulcahey at second as he converted the double play to end the inning.
- Quinn Krais started off the 4th inning with a single and was later brought home when Ashley singled with an error by the Presidents making it 3-0 in favor of the Lyons.
- Wheaton added 2 runs in the top of the 6th inning to take a 5-0 lead. After another Krais single, Stephen Quigley hit an RBI triple to right-center. Ashley then laid down a perfect burn scoring Quigley from third and reaching safely at first.
- Manni retired his final 11 batters he faced as his day ended after the 7th inning.
- In the top of the 8th inning, the Lyons added an insurance run after Ashley hit an RBI single bringing home Quigley.
- The Presidents scored a run in the bottom of the 8th inning and left a man on first and second. Zach Clesas got the Lyons out of the inning with a flyout and took the game 6-1.
By The Numbers:
- Manni pitched 7 scoreless innings while strike out 6 batters.
- Ashley went 4-for-4 with 2 RBIs, 1 run, and a walk.
- Studley went 2-for-5 recording 2 RBIs.
- Quigley scored 2 runs on 2-of-4 hitting with a double and a triple.
Wheaton has rescheduled to play Washington (Mo.) tomorrow at 4:30 p.m. at the Chain of Lakes Stadium.